Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13535960616263646566 LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting that info on lubricating the Matco tail wheel. You're right, it doesn't seem to make any sense. But your experience, and comments from the manufacture, are pretty good evidence.

Now I've got to dig out the instructions and double check the pre-load steps.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

https://static.veracart.com/matco/it.../document1.pdf

Pre-load instructions are at the bottom left.

Carl - I had the same issue with the tail wheel springs; lost one but found one or two also. I didn't have to work with a tower but found out that they can hide in grass really well! Found a reasonable replacement in the aviation department at the local Lowe's until the compression springs arrived. No problem since then. See: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...mp_springs.php Highly recommend them.

Hang in there - good weather has be inbound some day.

Compression springs coming from Aircraft Spruce. The space between chain links makes for a coarse adjustment and the open ended springs seem to require constant tension to keep from possibly falling off. I saw this style spring while touring neighbors' hangers to look at tailwheel assemblies. Hadn't occurred to me to order a pair. Thanks for the nudge.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Today I mowed the front pasture, sprayed the sweet corn with an organic that prevents ear worms, then went to the airport and flew the Kitfox for the first time! Didn't have a perfect blue sky with scatted cumulus, but conditions were great for a first flight with a solid overcast at 10,000+ and 0 knots of wind. Wasn't really too nervous before the flight but around 500' it sunk in that I had left the ground and was going to have to eventually land this thing! Climbed to 3000 and just enjoyed the view. Made the obligatory flight over the house with a wing wave to my wife, then headed to an uncontrolled county airport with a beautiful 5000' paved strip. Was undoubtedly too fast on the first bounce, the second bounce seemed a little better, and the airplane came to a graceful stop after ground looping into the grass. This was my first ground loop and I'm already tired of them! Taxed to a quiet spot and checked everything over. Just a few scuffs on the previously smooth Dresser Tundra tires. Tried two more take offs and landings and none of the landings were very pretty. In fact, I made the decision to leave the plane in a public hanger and make a few more flights from this paved facility before heading to the home strip with trees.

For the second flight I sat on the right side of the cockpit. It immediately felt more natural to have the stick in my right hand and throttle in the left. I'll probably fly from the right seat for the next few flights.

Recent issues:

- The "no brakes" turned out to have something to do with the orientation of the parking brake lever. When I set the emergency brake to "On" the rudder pedal brakes worked perfectly and the plane rolled freely when the pedals were not engaged. The parking brake lever must not be oriented correctly.

- The odd "Lane A" light fixed itself. I took the cowlings off, checked for loose connections, put everything back together and the blinking light was gone. I suppose there was, or is, a connection problem but I'll leave it alone and enjoy flying until the issue returns.

- I had 20 PSI in the Dresser Tundra tires. Don't know where I got that figure but there are posts on the forum saying 12 or even as low as 10 PSI for these tires. I would think having softer tires would make a huge difference is how the plane touched down! Any feedback on PSI would be appreciated.

Still pretty amazed to have actually flown the plane. Really looking forward to enjoying this new phase of the Kitfox experience!
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Congrats on your first flight Carl. It's been fun watching your build.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Oh wow! A big congratulations Carl! Yep, it's real easy to come in too fast. It sounds like you made a good choice in parking it there for now.

I carry 15 psi in my 22" Desser's.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Way to go on the first flight!

I suspect you will find 20 psi is way too high. I ran 12 psi on my Citabria and would expect 11-12 to be ideal for the Kitfox. I keep a bicycle pump and a tire pressure gauge that has a max reading of 20psi so I can get granular about the number.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Good for you Carl, landing any new plane has it's learning curve. I'm glad you had a good outcome.

A big congrats Carl. Well done!!

Rick