Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 43 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

This is my cowling. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Working on the cowling revealed several, small unfinished projects that needed doing: trim switch and indicator wiring, fuel pressure sender and wiring, a couple of communication (cam bus) cables from the 912iS to the Garmin engine interface. I spent an evening redoing the lacing that secures the wire runs so things are tidy. Along with those chores, life got in the way for awhile and the cowling work seemed to drag on and on. But the cowling was finally hung this evening. The adjustment of the camlocs is very rough with the "bases" at full extension to have the best chance to catch the screw parts. There will be a lot of trial and error adjusting to get a satisfactory fit. I'm really looking forward to getting on with the radiator and various scoops. That work will give me plenty of opportunities to adjust the fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Very true, and every one is different. I remember when doing mine and trying to position everything to fit it felt like wrestling jelly into some ill defined shape. That’s a job well done and you’ll probably see how stiff that whole cowl section is when the cam locks are done up.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Yeah Carl, the cowl is pretty fun to do. I made my cowl fit closer to the spinner than you did but I think you'll like where you put yours. I got my 100hr service done at California Power Systems this morning. I have a bit of difficulty getting the lower cowl on by myself but its doable. I asked Brian and Dillon to assist me thinking it was going to make it easier. It wasn't all that much easier with help and they were kind of in disbelief on how little room I have to manipulate it around things. Its a bear and I have scratches on the cowl where the prop has scraped it up as I have to move the prop around to get the leading edge up under the spinner. I think yours will be a bit easier as it appears to be pushed back more than mine. On another note, I think my next gadget will be that Dongle so I can analyze the 912iS computer myself. I had to pay the money since I didn't really have the ability to sign off a 100hr service without having the data interrogated. Anyhow, keep at it, its gonna fly one day!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

It's a struggle to secure the camlocs that are mounted in the triangular firewall plates. My boot cowl is secured to the firewall with a few 3/4" #6 flat head stainless screws and nyloc nuts. With countersinking, the heads fit flush along the front of the boot cowl. I'm considering adding screws to lessen the gap between those firewall plates. If it creates an odd shape I can remove them and Super Fill.

I remembered you talking about the cowling paint getting scratched up. Took Karen all of two seconds to veto my clever, or lazy, idea of having a white nose. I'm considering simple flat black on the nose, lift struts, flapperons, and wing tips. It's actually time to start thinking about painting some parts soon.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Just throw some painters tape on the paint before removing the cowl to protect it. Also a good idea to put some tape for protection on the boot cowl so that if your cowl gets off a little installing it the cam loc studs don’t scratch the paint
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I think in my case I have to try Duct Tape or something. I tried Painters tape once. The trailing edge of these blades are as sharp as a butter knife, it took through that tape as it it weren't even there. I just have to be way more patient than I am normally.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Just throw some painters tape on the paint
    I think in my case I have to try Duct Tape or something
    Try "plumbers tape" it is 2" wide like duct tape but is more of a vinyl electricians type tape, but it is thicker, makes a good barrier.

Ralph

Yeah be careful with duct tape. I have seen it peel paint off when removing it.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

For the front, to prevent spinner and cowl from directly touching each other, consider making a slip-on protective "shield" out of one of those cheap, flexible, thin plastic cutting boards or bakery sheets. Cut a hole in the center of it to accommodate the diameter of the prop extension/spacer, with a slit to allow it to be slipped into place when removing or replacing the cowl.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Several nice ideas
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X