Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

I thought it would be convenient to have the fuselage on a rotisserie for the assembly work but it hasn’t been much of a help. Having it elevated does make it a better work height while seated on the almost obligatory red stool. The tail end is supported by an aluminum strap bolted to the tail gear hole. That end of the rotisserie blocks work on the empennage and I’ll resort to a simpler saw horse approach.

With the tail blocked, I started with Flight Control Installation. I was tired of "getting ready" and, with the plane in the shop, wanted to get on with building. There is enough reaming in this stage to practice before getting to the dreaded holes on the stabilizer and elevator. Bolts didn’t always fit the reamed 3/16” holes so I rolled up little tubes of 220 grit sandpaper and sanded for the final fit. There are plenty of 3/16” holes to ream throughout the project and two 3/16” USA made reamers are in the mail as replacements. Bushings were painless using a long bolt, nut and fender washers as a press.

I’ve been keeping a daily work log, mainly as a reminder of the adventure once the plane is complete. Installing the flap handle will be long remembered. When starting a new section I pull all of the required parts and check them off on the diagram. After making three passes through the fuselage related boxes, looking for the single bolt that mounts the flap handle, I finally remembered I had left it in place after reaming the holes. Then I made repeated searches for the tiny roll pin. It was checked off the inventory sheet but was nowhere to be found. My wife, who invariably takes only a few seconds to find things in the pantry or refrigerator after I’ve given up, made a couple of passes through the bags before throwing up her hands. I wasted over an hour before realizing the Ace Hardware ten minutes down the road would have a stock of roll pins. At $0.11, I bought two so I could drop one on the floor when I got back to the garage. Drilling the 1/16” hole through the detent pin went well and I’m still patting myself on the back. Nice to have a drill press.

Other useful tools during this phase were drift pins and a metal dental pick was helpful with the washers in the control column. I also treated myself to sets of Gearwrench 1/4” and 3/8” sockets as well as their combination wrenches with ratchets in the box end. My ancient Craftsman tools were well worn and it is a treat to have new hand tools.

The parts supplied with the kit was very thorough, right down to zip ties and electrical connectors. The manual is well written with clear diagrams. I’ll agree with those who have describe the work as building a very large, very detailed model airplane. It is worthwhile to think through steps before diving in and very satisfying when something new is completed.

I’m 48 hours into the build and having a great time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I'll soon be starting on the horizontal airfoil ribs and will eventually be installing ribs in the vertical. While I would dearly love to have a good reason to purchase a band saw, I'm not sure the small job of trimming these ribs is sufficient.

I haven't test fitted the ribs yet so no idea how much trimming is required. Can anyone give me an idea how much material might typically be removed and perhaps offer ideas for a hand tool approach to this job?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Hi Carl,

I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying your posts! I finished last year but your descriptions brought back memories. Fitting the elevator, and I too felt proud of drilling the hole for the pin in the flapperon handle! I reckon I was sure to have broken a drill on that one!

As for the need for a bandsaw - I did use a cheap one and it was useful. But I reckon the trimming could be done using a dremmel tool and fine cutting wheel, and finishing it on a sander.

I am sure others will kick in here with advice shortly, but keep it going and you will be covering and painting in no time!

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Thank you for the kind comment Ross.

Before ordering a Kitfox I spent a few weeks reading through the Discussion section of the forum and bookmarking helpful sections. The build threads offered real insight into just what it takes to complete this project. Documenting my build is a simple way to make a contribution.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Hey Carl
    sounds like your enjoying the build as I have been. Ive slowed down considerably though. Im only a few months ahead of you but you may be passing me up soon it sounds like. I started March 15th. A Dremel tool is a must in my opinion. I didn't get one until late May. The little sanding drums make short work of extending the notched area of those ribs. With a plastic cutting disk you can make short work of the seat pan also and radius the corners of your cutouts with the sanding drums. I bought an inexpensive band saw for the bench top. That thing is really weak though. I had to buy a metal cutting band but dulled on the first use when cutting the metal pipe for the rudder pedals. It does OK when cutting small wood ribs and plexi glass but it seems I have difficulty following the line as the blade wants to twist and then track some other direction. I am getting better at it as I started just letting the blade do the work and quit feeding the material too fast. Keep up the posts since youll be passing me up soon and I can learn from you. Whish I had found the builders tip section here before I started work.
    Eddie

I also used a dremel with a sanding drum om the ribs. I bought a dremel viba tool for the door plexi. It worked great. I took the door hinge material to a machine shop and had them cut out professionally. I think it cost $50 but it was cheaper than a band saw. I blocked up the tail and installed all the tail ribs on the plane. It was a breeze.

I rigged my wings with the fuselage on the ground and then mounted it on the landing gear, no wheels, to do the rest. I also finished the wings while mounted to the plane. No rotisserie. I'm at the covering stage so I think I will have to use a rotisserie for the wings now.

After a few winter months off, I am jumping back in to finish my plane this summer.

A Dremel has been my "machine shop" for years. Very handy devices and one quickly gets over the expense of sanding disc and other bits when considering alternatives.

I've been dreading reaming the horizontal stabilizer bushings after reading comments of slowly twisting reamers with vice grips or grinding the end square and using a small wrench. That brought visions of spreading the task over two or three days in order to not go craze with the drudgery. Looking at the 7/16" reamer I decided to try and grind a hex shape that might fit the ratcheting box end of a 5/16" Gearwrench combination wrench. I introduced the reamer to Mr. Bench Grinder and soon had a rough hex that was good enough for the box end to get a secure grip. The pictures show how rough the hex shape can be. The small box end clears the aluminum tubing but blue tape protects against an awkward slip. Reaming all of the bearing tubes took a little over 10 minutes, including stopping to take a couple of pictures. It was such a pleasant surprise that I went ahead and installed the bearings using the drill press / sandpaper "lathe" and frequent test fits. It all went without a hitch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

you discovered half the secret

i posted how I ground a hex in mine, added a knuckle, extension, and a socket wrench and cranked them out in a few minutes. i pressed my bushings in with a bolt and big washers super fast before the glue set up. no hammer

good job!

put your fuse on the gear and you'll see how nice the height is and how stable it is. i stuck my gear legs on furniture dollies (filled in with plywood) and built the whole thing that way. I had the tail on another dolly and an egg crate so I could roll it around. I sat in it a thousand times and wired it up that way.

Tim,

Almost certainly I read your post while studying the forum and the idea, if not the source, came to mind when looking at the problem.

This is a great resource for builders but organizing the suggestions or successfully searching for just the right phrase is difficult.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I agree about putting it on landing gear. It's a nice height and the only thing you have to do on the bottom is that aluminum stringer. You could do that while it's still on a rotisserie.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3