Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

All is well. Life has just been very busy over the past few months. After finishing the hanger, we started a project building a new home. Seemed simple enough. Give the design to the builder, periodically check the progress, answer a few questions along the way, sign some checks, then move in when ready. We are very lucky to be working with a husband & wife team that have done a wonderful job on our "almost completed" home. The husband is a 3rd generation builder and the wife worked in the industry for years before they were married. Their attention to details and the quality of their contractors has been amazing. But the project, along with the odd jobs to prepare our current home for sale, has been all consuming.

The Kitfox has had little attention, particularly over the last three months or so. A team from the local EAA Chapter are all organized to move the plane in mid-March. After we are settled in our new home, work will resume on the project and I'll resume posting. Meanwhile, a couple of EAA members are enjoying use of the hanger while their home airport is being resurfaced.

Thanks for asking. I miss making progress on the build and keeping up with how others are doing.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Good to hear all ok Carl. A new home, new hangar and most importantly, an almost finished new plane. Nirvana.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Finally the house is complete, we have moved in, and I've resumed work on the plane. A few tools aren't unpacked yet but all of the Kitfox boxes are on familiar spots on the shelves. Before being overwhelmed by the new home project I was working with the Firewall Forward Kit. It didn't take too long to read through that relatively small manual and make certain I was happy with the work that had been checked off. Work resumes with the accursed cowling!

Oh, the "shed" is now a metal barn. But it's cluttered with a tractor, a trailer, and other equipment so I'll continue working in the air conditioned garage.

Wonderful to learn Eddie has finished his build and even flow off his initial hours.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Great to see you back at it Carl. Your build thread has been informative and inspirational, and I look forward to seeing it continue!
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Welcome back Carl. Nice to hear your other projects are done enough to restart the real project again !.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Welcome back Carl. Hope to see that beautiful Red Kitfox in the air soon.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

There he is! Congrats on the house Carl. Ive been waiting for you to get back on here. That damn "life" thing gets in the way some times.
    I just did my second Oil change. I have 65 hrs now. Your going to love it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Awesome to hear. I've referred to your posts many times in the last year. I have just completed the initial fitting of that damn cowling myself. Cut, test fit, cut, test fit, curse, test fit, curse, sand, curse. I just don't understand why a proper, perfectly fit casting isn't made. I'm not entirely happy with how it's come out so far. I have to add a bit of material at the nose to make it look good. Then deal with the cutting and fitting of the ducts etc.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

I believe there are simply too many variables at play given the numerous engine types as well as where the final positions of the fire wall and windscreen lay. What you are left with is the capability to fit the cowl pretty darn well IMHO given that the cowl is incomplete. As I have stated on another thread, even after fitting mine extremely well at first, gravity plays a part once everything settles. I notice that when it comes to the cowl, people either enjoy the fitting work or they hate it. Fortunately, I found it very fun. Having said that, I may affix a brace under the top cowl just to keep gravity from pulling it down where it isn't flush with the back of the spinner.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie, did you fit the windscreen before the cowling? I need to think through this part of the project carefully for the best chance of it coming out nicely.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X