Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 38 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Ralph, we'll now I feel pretty silly. Of course there would be a tool for dealing with these springs. I'll cheap out and try my parachute chord first. If putting them back on turns into a hassle, I'm off to the auto parts store. Thanks for the tip.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Well don't feel bad Carl. I have one of those tools but I never considered using it. After all, these weren't brake springs. I used a screwdriver through the spring and pulled hard.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Carl

When you say you purchased your 912iS from the factory are you referring to Kitfox or the Rotax factory?

Joe G.

Great progress Carl. Yes, those springs can be a bit difficult - some harder than others due to access. By the way, I have had several of the factory (Rotax) supplies springs break. My local "Mr Rotax" had heaps of stainless ones made up and has never seen them break - replaced my full set at $5 a spring.

Anyway, great to see other 912is installations. Also, I have had a couple of the EGT sensors go - At $200 plus a sensor I was keen to see if the 915 sensor would be a good replacement as it has been redesigned. HOwever, I have just been advised that the 915 sensor is not compatible with the 912is ECU - so it is back to replacing the 912is EGT sensor with like and carry a spare!!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Joe,

Both my 912iS and prop came from the Kitfox factory.

For a nominal fee, Kitfox built wiring harnesses for the Rotax HIC and X3 (fuse box) connectors. The individual wires are color coded and neatly labeled. A printed sheet documents each connection.

I was leaning towards the carbonated 912. Fooled around with carborators on motorcycles and owned a Fiat Spyder in my youth. However, John McBean made a couple of convincing points in favor of the iS: Push the button and it starts every time, and it will have a higher resale value. Didn't take much convincing after admitting to myself that I really enjoy the reliable starts of my injected Triumph Bonneville. I'm not in my 20's anymore - sigh.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

If you build it, they will come.

The first overnight guest in the new hanger is a 1942 Naval Aircraft Factory N3N-3. A friend is on his way to an airshow and the grass strip and free hanger space at Aero Estates (T25) made a convenient stop. The young attendants are two of his delightful children. Details about the "Who Flies the Next Leg With Dad" raffle are sketchy outside their immediate family. Homeschooling offers some unique field trip experiences.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Hangar looks great Carl, and then to top it off, you have such a great plane for a sleepover. Couldn't be better ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

Any updates to this thread?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Mind reader Shadowrider ... I've been wondering where Carl is these days .... he was making great progress and the new hangar was the cherry on top. Hope everything is ok.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hahaha, Ive been wondering as well. I saw this thread appear and out of 15 posts came directly here first. Last I spoke with Carl, He was very busy.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X