Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 27 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Two months slipped by without a post. Slowly got back to work after the Christmas holidays and it's a pleasure to be regularly working on the project. The ugly nest of wires are tidied into laced bundles and that part of the project is complete and tested. A few more wires will be added for the engine but it's nice to have most of the breakers and switches populated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

The magnetometer and AOA probe are on the port wing. Tropical Tuba's pictures have been invaluable during the build and I copied his idea of using zip ties to mount the magnetometer on a small board the wing tip. It's relatively easy to snip and remove the GMU-11 should it need servicing. I ran the magnetometer interference test with MicroSun Landing / Wig-Wag and Nav / Strobe lights turned on and off in various combinations. Even this close the unit passed with minimum interference at the time the strobes are first turned on. Wiring for all three units done is with shielded cable and the various grounds are wires - not the shield braid.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Now it's back to covering. This second wing seems to be going more quickly. This is one of the rare times that I'm repeating a step and don't need to spend so much time scratching my head. A good audio book will help pass the time during the routine work of reinforcing tapes, rib stitching, and finishing tapes. In just a few days it will be time to rotate the fuselage upside down and start on that final stage of covering. I'll admit to being a little anxious about the oddly shaped pieces. But it will be great to finish the covering and finally get the Fox on the landing gear.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

That's all looking really nice, Carl!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Your progress is encouraging Carl. Looks like you are also using Oratex covering, seems this fabric is becoming popular on this site, I hope to see a plane or two at Sun/fun with this covering. Keep the photos coming, it would be nice to see the front of your panel also.

Good to see your back at it Carl, and doing an excellent job. Some day when we both have our red Oratex covered Kitfoxes at OSH, I'll have to park some distance away from yours.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Carl,
    Glad to see your back at it. I'm jealous that your close to finishing the covering. I'm thinking you guys want to get out of the cold in Texas and come to Florida so I can take advantage of your Oratex expertise

Brett
    mykitlog.com/bholland

Very nice work Carl and you’re making great progress. Good advice on the magnetometer wiring. Interference has been my main concern so looks like proximity to the Wig/wag may not be the issue I originally thought. Also, really do like that red you have for the Oratex. Looking forward to seeing your assembled plane - as I’m sure you are too !!.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I posted a picture of the panel in the "Show Us Your Panel" thread under the "Electrical/Inst/Avionics" forum.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

You know Texas weather Brett. It dipped below freezing Sunday night but I'll be out doing yard work in short sleeves with a high of 74 forecast for Thursday. You do remember that lovely grass strip with a growing and friendly aviation community just down the road from my house? Come on over, build a hanger, and I'll be happy to help with Oratex. In fact, if my hanger project starts in early summer, we can drip glue on my floor!
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X