Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clear one piece doors

Default Re: clear one piece doors

I used 1/2" square 4130, except for the top, where I used 1/2" round. Welded the corners and white powder coated the finished frame. The panels are 2mm polycarbonate that will be replaced one day with 3 mm acrylic. I did this because I installed the widening kit from Merle Williams and I could not bend the original door frames to match..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: clear one piece doors

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    HI, I broke the bottom window on a classic model IV. the rivets at the center piece that divide the top and bottom halves of the windows are also loose. (it was my first time with a rivet gun)
    I want to lose the two piece door and make a one piece plexiglass door. I have the new door panels and a drill that I am not afraid to use.

Who has done this and do you have any pix? I know I have to heat the poly to create the compound curve of the door. I know I need a special plastic bit for the holes so I don't crack the window. And I Know Kitfox sells a cool bubble door that I could buy if I had the money. But, ... I have some time instead.
    Any words of ...
    Here are a couple of pics of the one piece Home Depot doors I did last winter.
    The attachments are stainless automotive self tappers and double faced auto trim tape. The white strip is just to cover the center bar and match the aircraft trim.
    Note the stains on the rear from fuel. When flying with door open they sometimes release fuel

I use premium marked non ethenol bulk fuel and it stains!
    Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images