Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Vert Stab Trailing edge Fairing

Default Vert Stab Trailing edge Fairing

Hello
    Im going to attempt to post a question here so that I am not bothering John every day. He is awesome at getting back to me but lets see if I can relieve him of some work.
    Mounting the vertical stab fairing, the grooves in the wood spars that receive the fairing leading edges places the fairing pretty far aft.. Having drilled 7/16th holes (for the mounts) in the fairing allows me to push the fairing farther forward so that the fairing slips over the rudder bearing mounting holes so that they protrude through it. It also has the inside of the fairing pushed up against the trailing edge of the vertical stab. Its a difference of nearly an inch fore and aft. If I don't push it forward up against the vert stabilizer then I don't quite see how the rudder mount bearings are going to be accessible once they are installed. They would then be half way inside the trailing edge fairing. Easy enough to sand the recesses in the ribs so that everything rides as far forward as possible but need help here. I don't want to have a huge gap between the rudder fairing and the Vert Stab fairing.
    Thank You
    Eddie

Default Re: Vert Stab Trailing edge Fairing

The vertical stab fairing should be pushed up tight against the trailing edge square tube of the vertical stab and glued to it. The little notches in the wood ribs need to be modified to fit the fairing.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Sweet! Thank you so much.

How do you remember all this stuff Jim!? You're a champion!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I guess I'm an anal retentive type personality! I have been caught with a flawed memory a few times, but the others on this forum keep me honest. As a general rule on this forum, be very careful what you take for gospel especially if it is from just one person. Its better if you can get several responses. J McB once told me that sometimes a posting will be completely off base. He does not try to police anything here except rarely.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS