Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wings/instruments

Default Wings/instruments

I am just about to finish building my wings on a SS7 and will soon be covering. I have done this before on another plane but I did not have any glass panel on other planes. I'm not even sure thats the way I want to go but for resale down the road I may want to put in perhaps a Garmin G3X. If I go this direction what (things) do I need to mount in the wing before covering. I realize the pitot tube goes there no matter what instruments I may use, any help here would be grateful. As for glass panel, those of you who are like me in my early 60's and have always flown round instruments and move on to glass, would you do it again?

Default Re: Wings/instruments

Jim, I am of similar age and my SS7 build was the first time I had used glass panel instruments. I thought it would take a lot of getting used to but I was surprised how easy it was to transition - especially fitting it all yourself - by the time I had fitted them (I used MGL mini - extremes and love them) I was pretty familiar with it all and just spent time with them switched on and going through al the sets ups - I think they are heaps easier to monitor both engine and flight instruments that the round dials and they give a lot more info.

The only think I put out the wing was the remote compass so as to get it away from any interfering metals- took a little bit of constructing an appropriate cradle but pretty simple.

My thoughts are that for for ease of use, value for money, the amount of information they provide and lack of clutter, I wouldn't think of going any other way if starting from scratch. And as you mention, resale value.

I am sure other will chime in!

cheers - I'm enjoying your posts too!

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Hi Ross,
    Thanks for the reply, why did you go with MGL

Like Ross said, you will probably want to mount the magnetometer in the wing. The pitot tube is a given, but run the plastic tubing for pitot and AOA if you go that way.

I had a little experience with the G1000 before I built my KF and would not choose steam gauges. I have about 25 hours on my G3X touch and absolutely love it for all the information available. I got the GTX23 transponder and ADSB In too.
    -I like that it records all the flight/engine data, once per second.
    -Having ADSB in has been great. I really like having the traffic because you can see about 90% of the aircraft out there. Last week I was in the patten and had another plane joining the circuit who couldn't see me; I was able to tell him that I was showing him 1/4 mile behind and 600' above me. He immediately saw me and called #2 behind me.
    -Having the ADSB weather is great, especially when you go on a trip. You can pull up an airport and get very current weather info.
    -I also like the terrain, obstacles, synthetic vision, airport database, 4 point CHT/EGT, fuel flow & totalizer, accurate voltage/amps, etc.

If you haven't flown with glass you should get a ride with someone that does or go to Oshkosh and see what these panels can do. You can also find lots of videos from the manufactures and users online.

It doesn't take that long to learn to fly with it. The G3X touch is very intuitive so the basic stuff is easy. But it will take quite a lot of time and reading to learn how to use all of the functions. The big challenge it learning what combination of touching/buttons/knobs is needed get you where you want to go. There is often more than one way to do things too.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Yes, magnetometer mounting shelf in the wing and 2nd tube for AOA (I highly recommend AOA-it is the most effective safety device to come along in years).

Comparing glass panel to six-pack round gauges, you will find cost not that much different. Glass is much more reliable-no moving parts. Tons more information.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim, Why MGL? I liked there innovative culture but more importantly, I didn't want the nav data, engine date and EFIS all on the same screen, and I don't like 'big screens'. I have a built in ipad for nav and built in Garmin 695 that I had from another plane for nav and a GPS derived set of 6 pack instruments. All personal preferences. I can also replicate the engine data on the EFIS screen if I needed to so that gives me some redundancy. I have flown in other Kitfox aircraft who do have Garmin and other brand all in ones and I must say they were easy to interpret too. I like the GRT units also.

All personal preference stuff i think - but I would take note of Phil's (papua pilot) response as being well considered and it is based on a wealth of flying experience - when someone with his experience suggests 'go glass', I would seriously consider it!

cheers ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)