Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ventilation

Default Re: Ventilation

The 3D printed knob looks like a great idea! I recently modified mine to basically do the same thing, but it took quite a bit longer to accomplish...

IMG_1791.jpgIMG_1794.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    The 3D printed knob looks like a great idea! I recently modified mine to basically do the same thing, but it took quite a bit longer to accomplish...

IMG_1791.jpgIMG_1794.jpg
    These are quite nice. Oh would that I had a lathe in the garage! It seems we each address the problem differently yet similarly. Well done you.

[QUOTE=Rfisher30;93408][QUOTE=Rfisher30;93406]Flying in the Houston area is just "hot!" My solution is to replace the little door knob for a 3D printed knob that allows me to crack open the door about 1". Cruising ~100 mph, the doors are rock solid and the cabin is so much cooler.

Attachment 25308Attachment 25309

Lesson learned: If the latch vibrates the knob and the door flies open, there’s a good chance the door will be seriously damaged. A Positive locking mechanism is Required. I removed the *.stl files from Facebook and continue to work the problem.

Built these over the last couple of weekends. It cracks the doors open about 1/2" and positively holds them in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jcard View Post
    Got these works of art from someone on Instagram.
    Love them.
    Brian Bush. He's on the Kitfox owners page on Facebook. His latches are perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jch View Post
    When its warm I leave off the "cuff" that covers the wing (front spar) to windshield junction. Gives me a nice breeze. If it is too warm for that I fly with the doors off. Haven't had a problem with hot feet or legs.
    Yep - this is all I needed flying in the hot days of August in VA. Thanks. BUT - it may mean I'll have to fabricate the cuffs for winter flying.

Lesson learned: If the latch vibrates the knob and the door flies open, there’s a good chance the door will be seriously damaged. A Positive locking mechanism is Required. I removed the *.stl files from Facebook and continue to work the problem.[/QUOTE]

What kind of damage was caused? The kitfox videos always show just unlatching the door and letting it go. Just wondering.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Coincidentally, I watched a youtube video from bowenaero.com 'Project Kitfox' today and he addressed this exact issue. He's using a latch that provides 2 positions, fully closed, or door held a 1/2 out open but still latched. I thought this was an elegant solution to this problem.

You can watch the video here; https://youtu.be/MUeRMN9m90Q?t=266. It will start at 4:26 into the video where he starts his discussion of this latch. Might be worth more research.

Contact Bowen Aero LLC about Brian Bush's door handlesbowenaero@yahoo.com https://www.bowenaerollc.com

- Mark

I love the airflow you get by using this method. One downside. I flew for an hour to San Diego with the door propped open a little. This was the first time I did this and I had about 10" of the door seal come loose from the adhesive that remained on the plexiglass. Now Im researching a different kind of door seal that might have a better adhesive. Sort of the same thing I am doing for the turtle deck foam seal.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I stuck the weather seal to the aircraft side of the gap. With the doors cracked the weather-stripping isn't in the airstream and you don't see the adhesive strip when looking at the door from the outside.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy