Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 51%

Default 51%

Has anyone applying for airworthiness with their FSDO had any trouble convincing them they did 51% of the work?
    Spoke with an inspector today via phone and was immediately drilled about whether I even built a majority of the plane. The idea that the ribs were already bonded seemed hard for him to swallow. Sounded like he hadn't heard of a Kitfox before.
    Said he would be doing some followup and would call me next week.
    We shall see....
    Not looking forward to this 'process'.
    Wade

Your Kitfox Series 7 is an "approved" kit. That means that the kit manufacturer has shown to the FAA that it complies with the 51% rule. I've never heard of a builder needing any documentation of that, but perhaps the McBeans can provide something.

This is another reason why you might want to consider a DAR.
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

I agree with Randy. Go with the DAR. I't not cheap, usually around $400.00. Most cases I have heard of where someone went with the FAA inspector they were mainly interested in paper work. (disclaimer-I'm sure there are FAA guys that look at the construction!). But you do want another set of eyes looking at your project. Money well spent-your life is on the line!!
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Wade,
    If you have any issues please give us a shout. We can help. The main issue is coming from the current re-evaluations of the majority portion rule. Even with the new rule the Kitfox is just fine. If your kit is purchased prior to the new rule you will fall under the old guidelines.. and the Kitfox is fine there as well.

Going with a DAR costs... but they tend to be more "in tune" with what is happening. Although I have run into a couple of DAR's as well that have not been around the Kitfox.

John
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I give up. FSDO called saying they lost all of my paperwork. Called a local DAR who has been recommended and have an inspection appointment monday. Friday was even offered but have to work.

"They're not happy until we're not happy".....