Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) to gyroplane

Default Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) to gyroplane

I am in the process of converting this airframe to a gyroplane like the "littlewing" by Ron Herron.
    I need help to decide what size/weight engine i can hang on this Fuselage.
    I am trying to determine which model this is a copy of, i will include a couple of pictures of the airframe.
    It looks like a combination of an Avid Flyer/kitfox 3 and is primarily constructed 1/2 4130 except the wing spar carry tubes and the two main cross tubes in the floor.
    I plan on changing the front spar tubes to 1" X .048 and the forward down tubes too 5/8' X .048 tubing.
    according to Ron i will need 100hp for reasonable performance and am leaning toward a 110hp corvair conversion but it is 225 lbs and i want to make sure fuselage will carry that weight.

I am hoping that some of the more experienced/knowledgeable people will chime in
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) to gyroplane

The shape of the door bottom, and the lift strut attachment point say a Kitfox 1 to me. Is it 36" wide at the center/back of the door? Later Kitfoxs are 39 1/2" there. Jim Chuk

The Raven was it's own airplane. Kind of a mashup of an Avid B/C and Kitfox 1/2. Never the less, a 225# engine will be way, way too heavy for that airframe, IMO. It was designed around a 75# 582.

Since you are not making an airplane but a gyro out of this, I really can't offer much advise other than in the fixed wing configuration that engine would need a load of ballast weight in the tail in order for it to balance properly.

Good luck. Post some photos of the conversion.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

At this point the only thing i have done is cut down tail and remove all non structural tubing, ie flight controls, landing gear bungie attachment points ect.

I am looking at all power plant options, would prefer 4 stroke but cant afford new rotax or D-motor, the corvair has the right power and is affordable but is heavy.

I knew i would have to reinforce certain parts of airframe for engine and mast mount.

The mast is adjustable for and aft to account for different weight power plants.

I might have to go to the point of building mast mount and using ballast to see if i can get weight and balance to work.

really what i was trying to find out was if the structure on the plane would be capable of handing that weight on the front, i will work out weight and balance.

thanks

It is 35" wide at back door.

I had an opportunity to measure a kitfox 4 1200 gross weight, i don't recall if i measured across the cabin, but all forward structure was basically identical.

The fuselage dimentions I gave were for outside to outside. Here is a Kitfox 4 fuselage I hauled home several years ago. (Maybe some day I'll finish it) Lots of changes from a Kitfox 1 that aren't apperent at first glance. Width (at top of seat) is just one of them. Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images