Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Short morning flight

Default Short morning flight

Couldn't resist another short flight around the local area this morning. There is a bit of fire activity around at the moment - control burns - which makes for a rather dull light and poor visibility. Still a lot of fun though! I also thought I would post a pic of the instruments in cruise as everyone seems to like to see how others planes are performing. Note the speeds are in kts and the temps in degrees C.

cheers

r
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: Short morning flight

Great performance, Ross. 100 kts (115 mph) at 5000 rpm.

Next time I'm up I'll join the show with a panel shot...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

100 kts @ 4.1 US gph is really good too.

I have been out of the country too and am wanting to get back to flying when the winds settle down here. I just got back from Ecuador yesterday where I was helping with an annual inspection on a Kodiak 100.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Hi Larry and Phil,

thanks for the feedback - I guess we all like performance pics! I am happy with the 100kts (mostly 103kts TAS) especially with the 26" tyres. I have found it hard to really understand the Rotax 912is sport performance figures but I think it have the settings just about right now.

I bet you are keen to get back into it Phil - you should be coming into some nice weather up there about now - true? I look forward to hearing more reports of your lovely plane.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

As promised…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Looks COOL .... bloody freezing actually! So these are the reading s from an 80hp Larry?? Looks like you were having a lot of fun out there - I note that you have the heater on! What is the switch Av Mas??

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

That photo was from last Saturday. It was 50 degrees (10) at the time. Three days before we got a 14" snow...

The switches are: Elevator Trim (trim), Avionics Master (AV Mast), auxiliary electric fuel pump (fuel), navigation lights (nav), landing lights (land) - with the off screen switch set to strobing wig-wag, wingtip strobes (strobe), and cabin heater fans (heat).

I have a 105 hp Zipper big bore 912 in this plane with a 78x48 Prince prop currently. I am planning to send the prop back to have it tweaked just a bit to get some more rpm. I only get 4800 on takeoff currently, I'd like to see more like 5200-5300.

The other photo is showing buddies, Steve in the Champ and Mike in the Bird Dog.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Good looking panel layout. Looks like you used curcuit breaker switches which saves panel cutting and extra wiring behind the panel. Nice.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Nice screen shot of your new Fox Larry. You should be really happy doing 100 mph at only 5k. I seem to recall you were concerned you might not get 100 mph in top cruise with that big prop. Looks like it is working better than most would've ever thought, but I do agree it would be better with a bit more rpm. Then you're really gonna cruise along!

Looks like Mike was idling along and Steve was probably in the tbrottle...not a common group of planes to fly together, but sure looks like fun.

Paul S
    Central Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Couldn't resist another short flight around the local area this morning.
    hahha... I think we were walking out of the cabin at that exact time. I remember looking straight up and seeing you fly overhead!!