Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unstarted KF Model1 SN#111- Questions

Default Unstarted KF Model1 SN#111- Questions

Greetings TeamKitfox
    This is my first post. I've followed this forum for a couple years now. I purchased an unstarted Kitfox Model 1 kit last Year. Serial#111. all of the metal tubing was covered in a light film of rust. It had been stored in the owner's workshop for the past 28 years. I inventoried the kit and found that everything is accounted for except the plastic for the windshield and doors.
    So far I have used scotch bright on all of the tubing to remove the rust, then sprayed it with epoxy primer. During the winter I have done a lot of research and have questions on how to proceed on a few things.

1. From what I've read, it seems to be recommended to add reinforcements to the vertical rudder pedal tubes where they are connected to the bottom horizontal tubes. I removed the epoxy primer from those areas to weld triangular gussets in place. I cut the gussets from .040 4130 sheet.

2. It seems t be a good idea to extend the vertical fin and rudder. I plan to use 035 4130 tubing welded to the top of the original rudder and over hang above the vertical fin. Any pointers on how that should or should not be done?

3. After some research, I decided that it was important to me to have some aileron differential so I cut out the mixer mount tubes that were in the fuselage aft the seat area. I have designed and am building a mechanism like what is standard on classic model 4 and newer, The Kitfox catalog has a retrofit kit but is not available for the Model1.

4. Is it recommended to add reinforcement gussets around the elevator welds near the control horn?

5. Is anything salvageable in the covering and finishing kit? I have 28 year old unopened cans of polytak, polyfiber, and structural epoxy. I guess that is all expired and should not be used. What about the bias tape and trhead? I have the roll of Dacron cloth too. Is it too old to be used?

6. The 20" balloon tires still have air in them and seem to be soft, are they garbage after sitting so long?

7. The Rotax 532 is still in the box. I assume it will need to have a mechanic go through and replace or upgrade some parts.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated. It's almost warm enough to resume building again but I don't want to get going just to do it over again.
    Thanks, Jim B.
    - btw - I chose the skyhook user name because I have a hook for a left hand. Another story for another day...
    JDB building KF1 SN#111

Default Re: Unstarted KF Model1 SN#111- Questions

Looks like you have a great project ahead of you, good luck with the build as I wish I had the patience to build one.
    Gary
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

Skyhook, sounds like all the covering products are way too old to use. Not sure if the fabric is still useable. I'd be talking to PolyFiber before using it.
    Good idea to reinforce the rudder pedals.

Seek out SkySteve in Utah on the tail modifications. He did a great job on his and his personal page has some very good photos of the modification. You might also search for his posts on the subject as I recall he discussed it in some detail.

Also not excited about 20 year old tires and tubes.

I have no experience with two stroke Rotax engines. Sorry.

Good luck with the project.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

DesertFox, I really enjoy your YouTube videos flying around the Arizona desert. Thank you for the straight answers. I was pretty sure the covering items should be replaced. Even if they might have a little life left in them they certainly are not the best choice over new materials. I agree about not being excited about the tires. Every take-off or landing would have one more thing to worry about. I will reach out to skySteve and talk. I have studied his posts and photos on his personal site.
    JDB building KF1 SN#111

I would recommend going to Rotax Flying & Safety club, an find a Rotax Repairman to go through the engine.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Did someone call me in on this (DF4)?.

Hey SkyHook, (by the way, what a great name!). Feel free to give me a call (eight 0 one, 7 niner one, 4 seven 7 seven). Tomorrow is good if that works for you as it looks like it's going to snow again. I see you are just down the road from me, in West Jordan. I'm in Huntsville and my plane is at the Ogden airport.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve- I just wanted to steer him towards your posts and photos. You did such a nice job on yours and I personally know how well it flies with your mods. Just want the best for our new members.
    Got to get those lonely and forgotten kits into the right hands and get them flying. Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Hope to see you soon. BTW, no snow here in Phoenix yet.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Skyhook
    Your build reminds me of 22 years ago.
    Walked into a friends barn 10 miles from home to get out of the rain and found my first Kitfox (model 1 #190 ) that he had been storing for a friend since 1998.
    Everything was there including instruments and 532 for $2500.
    One year later I flew it with help on the covering and paint from a former Kitfox employee.
    I was advised then to replace all the chemicals but I did use the covering fabric.
    Seems like we welded on some reinforcements to the lower end of the lift struts and carry thru spar reinforcement which raised the gross weight from 850 to 950 pounds.
    The spars also need to be the correct ones for 950 which mine happened to be.
    My son soloed the airplane on his 16th birthday and with mixed feelings I sold it a month ago since a model 4- 912 ULS took its place.
    The Kitfox changed the way I fly and was responsible for me still flying after 40 years.
    I try to make a new backcountry landing every time I fly and seldom go above 500 feet AGL unless trying to get somewhere.
    Gone are the boredom flights of going to altitude and hours later returning to earth.
    I wish you well on your build and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
    Steve Wilson from Ogden, Utah is an expert on modifying model 1's and has been very generous with helping me out.

My very positive experience with the 532.

I was told then to forget the 532 and get a 582 because the 532 has single ignition and the 582 has a better power band.
    Apparently if the stator of a 582 fails, both ignitions fail so the 582 does not have true dual ignition.
    Steve Beauty at Airscrew Performance in Arizona checked out the engine and replaced the points ignition with a snow mobile ignition (that ignition has retard for easier starting and lower idle rpm) and told me the 532 would idle at lower RPM's than the 582.
    He also rebuilt the 532 at 300 hours and said it looked so good inside it did not need to be rebuilt yet.
    I flew that 532 for 13 years and 450 hours with no issues.
    I tried a older 80 HP Jabiru for several years.
    I enjoyed the engine but it just plain did not perform for me as well as the 2 strokes with gear boxes that allow longer props for short fields or above 10,000 feet.
    Four years ago I replaced the Jabiru with a 582 Blue head.

The only way I could tolerate the 582 was to install a RK-400 clutch because the 582 will not idle nearly as low and as smooth as the 532.
    I also upgraded to a model 4, two stroke engine mount (which I happen to have an extra for sale) and makes for a lot less vibration to you and the airframe.
    You can land shorter if the engine will tolerate idling at a lower rpm.
    Your 532 most likely has an A gear box which will need the belleville washers replaced every 100 hours where as the C box on a 582 will need very little maintenance other than oil changes.

Herman Pahls
    Oregon

Here's the service bulletin about gussets on the Elevator.
    http://kitfoxaircraft.com/support/se...letins/sb4.htm
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Hi Skyhook...like you im building now a kitfox 1993..so all my polyfiber stuff are pass date and my fabric roll are in dark plastic bag to protect from sunlight...
    So what i do ...i order new product and i test my old-new fabric...i ask to polyfiber company how to do it...you cut a strip of 1 1/4" wide by 8 " long and you put some weight on...i take four wood block to hold the fabric with C-clamp and a big bucket under and i take every steel part i have in my shop...she brake at 80 lbs..if i remember right..i will try to find a chart for that ...

Jf