Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox Initial Thoughts

Default Kitfox Initial Thoughts

Well happy to be a new member to the kitfox family. I recently purchased a KF7. and having lurked here numerous times. I thought I would share my initial thoughts. Much of the research i needed came from this site, so i thought my experience may be helpful to others.

I was looking for best performing plane that would fly behind what i feel is a great engine the 912uls. I bought my plane without ever having flown a kitfox primarily based on what i have researched. The side by side seating, fuel capacity, baggage capacity, cruise and really one of the best features the convertible landing gear.

For starters I am totally pleased with my purchase. The last few years i have been buying and trying various aircraft, none that really hit the spot. I am glad to say i have found my home for a while. what a great flying aircraft, with great capacity and utility. The impressions that struck me initially are the component quality, the sturdiness of the design and the level of fit and finish. I thought the seven was going to feel bigger with two people. in my mind i was thinking too big, i wanted the perfect size plane for that engine. I think the KF7 is perfect for me, it was exactly what i wanted. I had a friend help me fly it back to my home base. initially I would say the controls were touchy. what i would say now is that it is responsive. You do not use a lot of stick motion to control the aircraft (compared to a Cessna 172 that i learned on) I would say you would use half. Obviously something to get used to but you would never want to go back. The other flight Characteristic that takes some getting used to is controlling the float which means you need to slow it down and maintain that speed, if you get a little fast at any time you will float a great deal. So approaching at a slow speed is best for me pending the winds I would be 65 or less, as i get more comfortable i will aim for 55 or less pending the winds. I have 14 total hours currently so i am sure my thoughts on this will change. So far I am using full flaps with occasion slips which are fun and have been a good tool to loose the extra elevation as i learn to set up my patterns. I recently received transition training from B. Blake from Stick and Rudder who was excellent and I would say one of the best instructors I have had. The great thing about Stick-Rudder Training is they truly know the Kitfox aircraft. I am just scratching the surface when it comes to this planes capability especially when it comes to its ability to combat wind. I thought i was going to have to cancel my first day of training because my home airport was gusting 15-20+ I have a narrow foothill runway plenty long but not very wide which gets a pretty good case of the burbles. We did plenty of crosswind training that day (keep in mind I am currently configured with a nose gear) but regardless this thing can handle the wind... Now time for me to elevate my skill

Remember my pilot friend who helped me ferry the aircraft home... he sold his plane a few weeks later and bought a kitfox. Apparently one flight and your done for!!

Yes a few hours of transition training are in order if you have never flown such a fine aircraft. This training will give you confidence and will open your eyes to its potential.

Second thoughts, When i was training years ago there was no sport pilot or much information on training options. I called the first FBO I could find and loaded up into the cessna 172 they had on the ramp. In hind sight, get your pilot license in a tailwheel, you will never regret it. and you will definatley be a better pilot for it. this is next on my list, but from my view seek out a tail option from the get go. And the kitfox would be a perfect option to learn in and you wouldn't go wrong starting with Stick-Rudder.

I have completely blurted out my thoughts on the matter. To all who are lurking like i did, here you go, I hope you find it useful.

Cheers and Good Luck!!

Default Re: Kitfox Initial Thoughts

Great first Posting!

Let me be the first to officially welcome you to TeamKitfox. It is now mandatory for you to post a few photos of your new ride!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Talking Re: Kitfox Initial Thoughts

Well Here she is
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here we are at Ranger Creek. Near Mt. Rainier
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations Jared. Looks like a nice 7.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Hi Jared,

Nice story and nice plane - Welcome to the site and look forward to more stories and pics - especially the ones about changing over to tail wheel!!!
    I liked your description of the feel of the controls be at first 'light' and now 'responsive'. I have been away overseas for a month and flew our plane for the first time yesterday - I was struck by how light the controls felt - I could sear they were heavier before I left! But within a few minutes they felt 'just right' again'. Anyway, thanks for the story and pics.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Welcome to the group Jared! And what a great write up!! I laughed when I heard your statement about being done in after just one ride I never thought of it that way, but YES, I think that's all it takes. My wife tells me she thinks she'll have to bury me with mine . (But I'd want someone else to enjoy it like I do, so I'm just gonna fly it until I can't...).

It might be fun to get your friend to jump in to tell us of his first impressions too. Many of us have been flying these for so long that it's fun to be reminded of how much fun we're having. And reports like yours are super valuable to the newcomers and those contemplatng building or buying a Kitfox.

Paul S
    Central Wisconsin
    Kitfox 4-1200 amphib 912ul

Thank you all! Glad to be here I look forward to a few more posts coming soon. Let the adventures begin. Just about tiime to start getting out the camping gear.