Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: fuel caps/butt ribs

Default fuel caps/butt ribs

I am ready to glue the tanks in place on the wings and have a few questions. The vent tubes on both fuel caps do not line up straight forward when tightened onto the tanks, they are off by about 15% The vent tubes look like they were brazed in place, any advise here. This is the SS7 kit.
    Also the butt ribs. It appears that one might need to trim an area where the sight tubes may come into contact to the butt rib, Is this true or do the sight tubes not stick out that far to be against the butt ribs. Last, the vent tube is very tight to the number 1 rib that it seams it will get pinched when bending behind the rib coming off the fitting?

Thanks in advance of your advise.
    Jim

Default Re: fuel caps/butt ribs

you simply bend the vent tubes into proper alignment. Takes a few seconds by hand

The butt rib need reliefs in the areas you mentioned. Take a dremel to it. I think this is noted in the manual.

I also have worried a lot about that vent tube tight bend at the fitting. If you carefully measure the room available you will see that there is somewhat more room than it appears, however the possibility of kinking still bothers me. If I was starting over, I would see if a 45 degree fitting would go into the tank (I know a 90 degree does not have enough room to turn in). I believe a 45 fitting would eliminate all concern about kinking.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the replies on these questions. I will check out a 45deg fitting, it might work but looks tight also. I am not comfortable with just bending the fuel vent tubes, I work with brass, silver and gold tubing every day within my job and I know when one end is stationary the tubing is going to kink unless it is filled with pitch or ice. Perhaps this metal is a bit different but it has to give somewhere?

I think most of us use the translucent Tygon plastic tubing that comes with the kit. It does bend fairly sharp without kinking.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The fuel cap vent tubes will not kink.

Do a search here. It has come up several times