Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPad mini

Default iPad mini

I have an iPad mini4 that I run fore flight on when flying. I connect the power source to a cig lighter outlet to keep it charging. I've noticed that it has trouble keeping up with the charge. Is that because it is coming off of 12 volts or does the fore flight app just take that much power. I've used it to charge my phone and it has no trouble doing that. Your thoughts???

Default Re: iPad mini

Your iPhone only requires a 1.1 Amp charger. Your iPad Mini 4 requires a 2.1 Amp charger. The large iPad requires a 2.4 Amp charger. My guess is that you have a 1.1 Amp charger.

Note that it does not hurt any of the devices to use a higher Amp charger than they came with (i.e., you can use a 2.4 Amp charger on any of the "i" devices).

See this link:

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2014/01/cha...tips-air-mini/

Check out this one: https://www.pilotlights.net/dual-usb...st-charger-48a

"Built for rugged use in any 12 or 24 Volt vehicle, it provides 2.4 Amps of charging power to both USB ports (4.8A Max, 60W). A combination of internal over-voltage, over-current and internal UL-approved fuse provide superior protection of your devices while charging. FCC approval ensures the device won't create RF interference with nearby electronics and radios. Designed for use in Aviation, Commercial Vehicles, Marine, Utility applications and Automotive use."
    Last edited by RV8JD; 03-21-2016 at 04:05 PM.

I check my adapter... It say 12-24 volt input and 5v/2.5 out put. So it should be strong enough to keep up with demand, right?

My iPad 3 still drains while plugged into a 2+ amp adapter. I don't tend to keep it on all the time while flying. That way it'll last all day.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Mine barely keeps up while sitting on the couch.....
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

Foreflight is a known energy hog. It uses a lot of power to produce those maps and my iPad runs noticably hotter when running Foreflight. Flying from Texas to Oshkosh I could just barely maintain battery level with the 2.1 A plug-in adapter, but never increase battery charge level until the app was turned off.

Keeping the display intensity turned down helped on the battery usage. Just to be sure I wouldn't lose the display I purchased a standby battery pack.

Foreflight is aware of the battery problem and the latest revision addresses power consumption. It's better, but it still sucks power.

Reminder: keep iPads off the glareshield and out of the sun. If it gets hot it will shut down. I still don't trust iPads as an EFB. I print a paper copy of charts and IAPs needed before the flight.
    John

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

The Ipad 4 I use, the latest version before the air, flying will last approx 8 hrs not hooked to a charger.

I close all none essential apps, run foreflight continuous and it is linked by blue tooth to a Dual gps receiver.

I do put the Ipad into off/sleep when able and the map is not required . This extends its battery life even longer.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I have an iPad Mini 4 in my RV-8 (12 volt electrical system). It is powered by a 2.4 Amp charger plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet. I have the iPad Mini 4 connected to a Stratus 2s via Wi-Fi, and connected via bluetooth to an AKG AV100 headset. I run ForeFlight while flying at full brightness. The iPad Mini 4 charges with this set up.

Is anyone aware of a 2.4A power cable that can be hardwired? Or will i need to have the cigarette lighter outlet?

I have not worked my panel yet and thus have no experience with these, but it is a link I found some time ago and saved as it looked like what I may want to install.
    http://www.commitlift.com/usbchargers.html
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon