Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: How to repair leading edge

Default How to repair leading edge

Looking for a bit of help repairing a wing on my model 4 1050. I have to replace the leading edge and the first rib (the one you can see when folded). I did not build her and don't have any build instructions. Kitfox is sending me new leading edge parts.
    Thanks
    Dave
    Yakutat

Default Re: How to repair leading edge

Dave,
    The leading edge is installed by using a template. The pattern is included as a page of the manual and then glued to a piece of thin plywood. I have attached a scan of mine as prepared with the wood attached. If you could print the scan so the measurement is exactly 8-1/2 inches along the top (bottom) it should work. You can check it against the leading edge on the other wing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I would guess that you could carefully cut the fabric the same width as the leading edge so it remains attached to the spar on the top and bottom, removed the old edge and pop in the new one, and then put a large span wise patch piece on your fabric to cover the new leading edge.

Unless anyone says that's a bad idea, that is what I would do.

With my limited knowledge of fabric covering systems, I would say that this could be an acceptable solution with the stewart system, but it might not be with the polyfiber system. I believe that stewart allows you to have glue joints in areas not touching structural members whereas polyfiber does not allow of this process.

Just my though. I'll let someone more knowledgeable chime in.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Do you can send a pic of the damage...more easy to help after..and i love pic

And to change All the leading edge...i think it better to remove all the fabric to make a good job..but... If you have polytone paint you can remove the paint and un-glue the 6 inch tape and the joint on leading edge..with urethane paint..you can't remove the paint with chemical product...you need to sand carefully to the gray poly-spay,afer you can go with MEK...méthyl ethyl ketone..

Jf

I will send Pics if I can get to a computer when I am with the plane at the end of the week. She is 450 miles away. I appreciate all the Help! I also need to know what type of glue/bonding agents are used in the IV. I want to keep things as original as possible. Any pics from from your builds would be helpful too. I was a Huey and Blackhawk Mechanic! The Army spelled real slow for me .

Just saw the link on Rocket man reply! Great thanks!

Dave,

Another detail to keep in mind. The leading edge is not symmetrical......check the end of the original one before it is removed and compare so the new one is oriented the same way.

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912uls Warp drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks, I will make the template that Highwing posted and check both the good and damaged wing against it to see how it matches up! With only one template I would think that the wing is symmetrical though?!? Thanks all and keep the advice and ideas coming! I just watched a cub land while I was inspecting my VASI and made me wish It was me! Hopefully I can get her back in the air sooner than later!