Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolant gate valve needed to shutoff cockpit heater

Default Coolant gate valve needed to shutoff cockpit heater

I need to find a way to shutoff the coolant routed to the heater core in the cockpit of my plane. Right now it is constantly flowing through the heater core and it gets pretty hot in the plane even with the fan off.

Does anyone have a valve recommendation that will work with the 5/8" heater hose?

Default Re: Coolant gate valve needed to shutoff cockpit heater

I confess I am using a brass ball valve from Home Depot that I can reach though my oil door.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Do you just have one valve on the feed line to the heater core? I would think that is all you would need to do is just simply stop flow to the core.

I did find an automotive manual valve that looks promising.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401014326050...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've used Mueller 150 WSP Brass ball valves on my heater core lines (old Toyota Pick up & Motorhome) for many years with no issues.

I don't have valve(s) in mine and it doesn't too get warm in the summer. Maybe my heater hoses are routed differently. It works fine down to 10ยบ in the winter, though.

If really needed, I would second the idea of a hardware store brass ball valve in one line as being all that is needed.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

My plane has no cockpit ventilation at all and the doors and gaps are sealed pretty tight.

I do have some vista vents to install in the doors but I've been waiting for it to get a little warmer because I'm scared of cracking the plexiglass when drilling the holes for them.

When it was flown today it was from the co-pilot seat and the heater core is right there a few inches from your leg so I can see how it could get a little uncomfortable and I do like the idea of being able to stop the coolant flow through it if I want to.

I would use a ball valve. And depending where you need to mount it, you may be able to route a control rod or cable back to the panel. One thing nice about ball valves vs. gate valves is they are a short throw to open or close and they are adjustable for volume.
    jay

Quote Originally Posted by gregsgt View Post
    I do have some vista vents to install in the doors but I've been waiting for it to get a little warmer because I'm scared of cracking the plexiglass when drilling the holes for them.
    Look at the photos of my yellow and now the Mangy Fox plane. I put my vents in the lower cowl, next to the foot well, instead of the doors because I didn't want to drill the bubble doors either. Fiberglass is much more forgiving (and easier to fix).

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

My NACA scoops are in the same location as Larry's ball vent, and I also think that is a better location than the doors, as the air blows along side of where you are sitting better than if further back.

Larry, that Mangy Fox isn't looking too mangy these days. You probably need to let it at least get a little dirty or something

I have a "push/pull' valve from an auto supply store. Only flow coolant through heater when required. Not sure of brand but will post a pic next time I have the cowl off.
    Don