Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox Series 7 versus Murphy Rebel with O-320

Default Re: Kitfox Series 7 versus Murphy Rebel with O-320

I think Keith nailed it on the head. These are 2 separate "class" airplanes. My wife and I were initially looking for a KF for years. I rode in one and decided it was what we wanted, as I wanted the folding wings to keep in a trailer. As we looked around and sat down to evaluate our real mission, we realized the KF wasn't going to fulfill what we actually needed an aircraft to do. I ran across a Rebel in need of some TLC for a very reasonable price and snatched it up. Since then we repainted, put in a whole new panel, and did some minor engine work to make up for the PO glazing the cylinders after a rebuild. I do have the 0-290 and though it is great for the time being, will move up to an 0-320 or 0-360 when the time comes.

With full fuel, my wife and I, the smoke system, and the tools we can take off in just over 200' near SL at 85 degrees on 31" bushwheels. Not bad considering I'm producing 125 hp. From experience I know if I can fit it in the plane, it's going to come with me and have a short t/o roll at that. The cargo space is crazy big and once I'm up, I settle into a 110mph cruise with the 4 blade warp at 2300 rpm. The avex rivets are easy to drill out/replace should the need arise. Other than that, no mx required with them and no issues with them working loose.

Mine is a standard Rebel on wheels. There is a gentleman not far from me with the factory Rebel Elite demonstrator on floats. Again, a much different animal than the KF. He has a very small room to work with on the water with obstacles all around. Due to the lacking performance of his SC on floats, he sold it off and purchased the Rebel. Both AC had the same engine, but performance wasn't close to the same. As for mine, it will stay on wheels as I have no desire for floats.

My Rebel fits my mission perfectly allowing us to travel long distances and take a relatively large load along at a nice pace and reasonable fuel burn. (~7gph or less, depending on cruise altitude) I am frequently gone traveling out of country a few times a year and gets flown regularly by a friend. The wife is in the middle of transition training to get her tailwheel and start flying it.

For anyone interested in taking a ride, feel free to shoot me a PM. We live in the Florida panhandle close to Destin/Pensacola and would be happy to show why we love our Rebel.

I've been enamored by the Elite for a while. I want a KF but I also want to haul the chocolate lab.

Guess I need both!

Timberwolf,

Thanks for sharing your great firsthand experience of your Rebel with us. I think I really need to fly one on wheels vs amphibs as your performance results are hugely different than what I experienced in the amphib Rebels I experienced. But in defense of those amphib Rebels, many, many aircraft turn into real mutts when you strap a super draggy and heavy 300 lb set of floats under them. It truly is asking a lot of any airplane when you want to be able to operate equally from airports or waterways.

I have to admit I was astounded by your comments comparing it to a SuperCub, as the Cub has a much larger wing with a similar empty weight and engine hp. So I would not expect the SC to be outperformed by the Rebel except for maybe the cruise. I fly with friends that own SuperCubs, and they get around really good, especially in the STOL environment.

Dammit, now I have to add another plane to my bucket list (smile). But wait! I already had a Murphy design on my bucket list...which happened after I flew a friends quarter million dollar 400 hp Aerocet amphib Murphy Moose. I liked everything about his amphib Moose except for the high speeds needed for getting off and on the water, the super high fuel burn when you were in the throttle of that big supercharged Russian radial engine (40+ gph at full power - GULP! ), and I'd change the shape of the vertical fin to be more Dehavilland reminiscent. But man that Moose is a cool airplane, and super fun with all that power!

One evening at OSH Daryl Murphy and I were talking about my buddies amphib Moose and while he said he had no cure for the high fuel burn (except to stay out of the throttle- but what fun is that?), he did have a cure for the short wing and the vertical fin shape. All I had to do was order a kit and he'd throw in his wing root extensions and longer struts along with a new vertical fin of the right shape. (He's a pretty convincing salesman).

Unfortunately for Daryl, I know the huge effort it took to build my buddies Moose. So the only way I will probably ever get one is to win the lottery and then go track down my buddies wherever it is now (he sold it a few years after finishing it - 200+k if I remember right).

If I lived closer I'd love to go flying with you in your Rebel. More people that like theirs should share their experiences with it like you just did. There really isn't much written on it.

Here is a pic of the Elite. The gentleman that owns this also has multiple other aircraft/helos and has owned quite a number of planes. For him, he said the rebel was a great fit. I had more pics but literally just deleted them a week ago cleaning up some disk space. This plane was the factory Elite demonstrator and has an 0-360 and a fixed pitch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I remember that one. Nice airplane.