Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing/panel needs

Default Wing/panel needs

I am getting ner the finished stages of my wings on a SS7 before covering. Has anyone installed the Garmin G3X in their panel. What provisions are needed in the wing for sensors

Default Re: Wing/panel needs

This may be helpful. I'm not completely familiar with the requirements of the Garmin system but, here's what I did mounting the magnetic sensor of a Dynon D100.

Go here!

Go here to see the final installation.

I was a little worried that the Aeroleds Strobe mounted close to the sensor would cause interference but, so far, I've detected none.

I have the G3X. Here are some things you may want to consider before you close the wings.

-If you are going to use the Garmin AOA pitot tube make sure you have a large enough mounting plate to attach the pitot extension. You also should install the pitot and AOA tubing with plenty of extra at each end.

-I put my magnetometer on the outboard left wing rib. You will need to make a bracket for it. The wiring can run through the rear spar. BTW that location worked great both for the interference and vibration tests. BTW I added two supports to the bracket since this picture was taken, they are triangle pieces that keep the horizontal part from flexing (it had too much vibration during the Garmin running tests).

-Where do you plan to install the temp probe? The wing is a possibility. I put mine on the left side of the fuselage below the horz. stab.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thank you for this post and photos. I like the mount in that area for access if needed. Do you see any deviations due to the wing flex in flight being on the wing tip? Do you have any photos of the pitot mount. Since I have not inquired with Garmin could I buy the hardware accessories for mounting before purchasing the G3X. How do you like the G3X, would you buy it again?

Thanks

I haven't had any problems from the magnetometer since the mounting bracket was stiffened.

If you are going with the Garmin AOA pitot tube, which I would highly recommend, the only thing you need right now is the pitot mast extension. I used the Falcon 30-PT2000. It is the correct length for a Kitfox; it is stainless steel, matches the Garmin GAP-26 and is predrilled. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I had to modify my pitot mount after the wing was covered, which was a real pain. This was because I bought my plane second hand and the wing was already covered. The original owner had it set up for the factory 1/4" aluminum tube pitot.

In a nutshell you will need to add a wood or aluminum plate that will be even with the bottom of the wing rib. It needs to be secured to the rib and stringer so that it is rigid. I epoxied a 1/4" piece of aircraft plywood to the bottom of the existing wood triangle that was installed. It will be much easier to set this up on an uncovered wing. It might be possible to make a 90 degree bracket out of aircraft aluminum that bolts onto the rib; I would use .050 or .062" minimum.

I have about 12 hours on my plane and am really enjoying the G3X Touch. I wouldn't trade it for anything else. It has been nice having the AOA and learning how to use it. I just got the ADSB-In setup yesterday so I can see traffic and weather!. I might be a little biased toward Garmin after spending 20 years using Garmin 430s, 530s and the G1000. Part of my reason for Garmin is they took all of their wealth of knowledge on certified products and created an experimental line of products. To me that is different than doing it the other way.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

I did something very similar to Phil, except I put the magnetometer inside the wing in the outside bay. I was trying to get it as far away from the strobes, nav and landing lights as possible.
    If you read the requirements from Garmin on minimum distances from current carrying conductors etc., the only place that works is on a pole sticking out three feet in front of the wing somewhere.
    Mine also works fine where it's at. Just make sure to use shielded wiring for any wing tip lights and ground shield well.

I also really like my G3X Touch.
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

Doing the G3X also. Like JohnB we were concerned about the strobes and light, but also the steel in the struts. He's right, a 3' pole is the answer to Garmin's specs.

We also put the Magnetometer in the first inboard bay. It was a compromise between the steel struts and electrical in the wingtip. Our radio guy seemed to be more concerned about the steel than the electrical.

Built an slightly oversize inspection panel to acccess the magnetometer.

On the pitot, We cut a pitot out of plastic and used it with the Safe-Air mount to accurately locate the pitot before we cut the mast. Used the Garmin specs in conjunction with the recommended location in the Kitfox manual.

We cut a plate from plywood stock and put a rabbet on it to accept the flange on the rib to kee[p it flush with the rib. Doubled the false rib on the other side of the plate. It is stout.

We ran the AOA lines aft of the rear spar. The hardest part of that was getting the lines secured as they passed over the rear spar so the don't poke the fabric.
    Jim Morrison
    Maypearl, TX

Again, thanks for the posts, all good info. For those of you flying with the G3X what do you not like about the system

So far I don't have anything that I don't like with the G3X.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Same here. I guess when you throw some homebuilders who know how to build avionics in a room and turn them loose, you can come up with a pretty good product.
    Jim Morrison
    Maypearl, TX