Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to community!

Thumbs up New to community!

Hello!
    Just signing on at the direction of Desertfox1. Expecting my super sport 7 kit next weekend! I'm trying to get an idea where the construction manual will have me beginning the build. Specifically, if it's the covering of my quick build wing, I think I need to buy the lighting and its associated wiring. I would like any suggestions as to what to expect. I don't want to be at a stand still waiting for lights to come in the mail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thx. Eddie
    Here's to the next couple of years!

Default Re: New to community!

Eddie,

You probably have a lot more latitude on this than a person would suspect. While the manual has a sequence, i.e. one page comes after another.....you don't necessarily have to begin in the same place.

The manual begins with the fuselage and the wings are later but that doesn't mean certain stuff can't be done in a different sequence.

I think most advise thoroughly reading the manual when you get the kit and what has to happen in a specific order, or not, becomes apparent.

Having said that, I think most people start with the fuselage.

Personally, I did not get the quick build options so I had more to do on the wings. My order of business did not go in sequence with the manual in all cases......pretty much went by the weather.....doing stuff in the basement when it was cold outside and doing stuff outside when it was warm enough; and, did the painting when the wind wasn't blowing too hard and the relative humidity was low enough.

I think most people do the covering of the whole aircraft, tail, fuselage, wings at the same time after all or most of the inner workings of the aircraft are done - doing all the covering at once helps with utilizing the materials and doing the process.

Great to see another new builder on line!....

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

Welcome Eddie. Don't worry about lighting yet, there is plenty of work to do on quick build wings before they are ready to cover-install fuel tanks, wing tips, #1 rib, strut brackets, rigging to fuselage, leading edge, etc. Also you can start or switch to working on the fuselage or tail assembly at any time. Many of us run the wingtip lighting wires thru the rear spar, so this can be done very late in the game long after covering and painting.

I believe if you go by the manual in order from front to back, it has you starting with the fuselage and tail. I think this is a good idea because you will see steady progress on a large scale. However, you can really start most anywhere; I started with the wings (not quick build). The only thing that must be done in the right sequence is rigging the wing strut brackets and wing attach points to the fuselage carry-thru tubes. Just read the manual on this part of the build and you will see what order that needs to be done.

You are about to start doing the most FUN thing you have ever done.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Welcome Eddie. Spent the day with Desertfox1 building Kitfoxs.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I think the best thing you can do before your kit arrives is build some wing rotisserees. See Tom Wades websight tropicaltuba.com. Welcome, Ken

Thank You all very much!
    I figured your help may alleviate some of my anxieties.
    This project aims to provide some bonding time with my 12 and 14 year old boys who, as of yet, don't have any clue what tools are let alone how to use them. Just building work benches with them was enlightening! Spending some time with Desertfox1 looking at some of your airplanes was awesome. Of course I don't know who those planes belong to but those on the Chandler airport as well as those at the shop in Gilbert, I am certain we will meet in the future. The wait for this Kit is killing me!
    Eddie

I wouldn't worry about wiring lights, you can route the wires through the rear spar. You do need to route tge hoses for the pitot tube, and mount the pitot tube. You also need to decide if you will be using a glass panel, and need a Magnetometer. You will need to mount it in the wing. Mine is mounted to the last rib on the co-pilots wing inside the wing tip.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I ordered my SS7 in jan 2012 and got my manual to look over early. Rec'd kit in may with quick build wings and followed manual starting with fuselage. In Nov I started covering wings/fuse. Wiring goes through spar tube so can be done anytime. Lighting in Wing tips, so can be done anytime. Finished covering in May 2013 and painted in the better Ohio temps of late May early June. I had ordered my engine in Feb 2013. When it arrived in June I was ready to attach engine. Worked on this through the summer and took an EAA electronics course in Sept and started instrument panel and electronics in Oct. Final inspection in May 2014. I had little or no building experience and spent about 25 enjoyable hours per week on it. 2500 total for me with no one helping. I think it would be fun to build another one.
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade

Thanks Jch
    Info much appreciated. Here's to hoping the boys will assist getting it done quicker. You know how teenagers can be. I may have to entice them with Sports pilots ratings in order to get them to work hard on the project. Thanks for the time line on your project, that's helpful. I'm hoping I can order an engine while at Airventure this year. Granted it may be stored for a bit before needing it. It's possible that I may get a Glass Panel from Advanced. I'm thinking of taking the electronics class as well but curious about how much time is saved by buying a panel from Advanced. Anyone?

Default Re: The Build Begins!

My Kit Arrived yesterday. I have only about 45 min of work left on doing the inventory. I wish I had looked at posts here months ago. It seems I need to read a big manual before I begin the build. Arrgh. Wish I had got that manual prior to the kit. I had 18 weeks between placing the order and receiving the Kit.
    Eddie