Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: How far has anyone towed by tow bar to the airport?

Default How far has anyone towed by tow bar to the airport?

Even though I own my own airstrip, I foresee an issue where I may have to tow my IV to the nearest airport for dual instruction. It's only a couple miles away in a straight line, but not so close by roads. Has anyone had any issues with the police? Unfortunately I'll be crossing from a local sheriff district to Indianapolis police districts. My big question is I would like to use the tow bar that came with the plane as I don't own a trailer. Yet...
    Thanks,
    Jay

Default Re: How far has anyone towed by tow bar to the airport?

I towed mine 18 miles, using the Kitfox tow bar. 4am on side roads, max speed was 35 mph in some areas, 30 most of the way. A chase car behind it to keep other traffic away. No problems at all.

Get a set of trailer tail lights, put them on a slab of wood & hang them off the prop via velcro strips...

Sure wouldn't want to get caught. Technically anything you tow on a county or state road in Indiana is considered a trailer and is supposed to be registered but in this case does not have to be titled. Unless you can prove its a "farm vehicle". Not to mention the issues if there were any incident - like would any insurance cover any damage to vehicle, aircraft, property or injury? That tow bar and it's attach method is not designed for over the road bumps, potholes, towing stress, wind load, etc. Neither is the tail wheel for that matter.

To each his own though!
    Greg

It is important to pick lightly traveled, low speed limit roads, at a time of day when there is not much traffic, in decent weather and followed by someone you know to block other traffic. I did hit a few bumps, but no damage. It is hard to argue with what works.
    Last edited by mr bill; 03-03-2016 at 11:50 AM. Reason: clarify

In Texas, just about everyone owns or knows someone who owns a 16 ft cargo trailer. They sell for about $1200 new or $500 used depending on the rubber. Strap the fox on one of these and tow it anywhere.

I have towed mine to the airport about 10 miles. No extra lights or anything. I did have my flashers on. I also towed it into town to put it on display at the car show (just for kicks). I won a trophy for most unusual exhibit. Just strap the rudder good so it won't hit the wings. I did that down by the controls by the tail wheel. I am from Missouri. You could get by with more if you tow it with a farm tractor. Here in Missouri you can pull things with a van or car and not come under the same rules as you do towing with a truck or pickup.
    Farm Boy