Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 914 or 912/100hp?

Default Rotax 914 or 912/100hp?

Well, I guess after waiting for 2 yrs for a deal on a rotax, it is not going to happen. I am looking at the one on barnstormer, the 914 turbo with 276 hrs for $16k. Do you think I am making a mistake? Should I just pay the extra and get a new 100hp? I have the kf5 vixen with the firewall forward/ mount for the 100 hp. Do you have to watch tubrocharger pressure? Or do you put full throttle and back off like normal? Any comments about Oregon aircraft services that is selling it? Sounds like a nice guy, but the is a large investment for me. I want to fly to the kf roundup, not drive up lol thanks

Default Re: Rotax 914 or 912/100hp?

Go for the used 914, especially if you live in California. You can go too high on the pressure but it's more of a fuel delivery issue than a damage to the engine issue. For about $3500 you can fuel inject it and not worry about that at all and get more power/economy as well as an airmaster constant speed prop all for less money than the new engine.

If you have been waiting 2 years for a deal on a rotax, I think you found it...

I think it's a good deal, but not knowing the plane it came from(not just the tail numbers) and talked with the owner, it's taking a chance. If it needs a complete overhaul, I guess I still would be cheaper than a new one. I got my 2 ea garmin g3xs, and working with a/c spruce on my radio.....I might make az

That engine sells new for about $28k. So for $16k with only 276 hours, that almost sounds too good to be true. Buyer beware...

Is it somewhere local to you that you can see and examine it?

A new 912UL is $15k, A new ULS is $17.6k. (LEAF) For the small difference in price, I would personally go with the new ULS engine.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Or a used 912 with a zipper kit. That's what I did.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

If your engine mount and cowl are setup for a 912 ULS , then I would get a brand new 912 ULS. Then you know what you have right from the start.

There are allot of people, mechanics that treat a rotax like a lycoming or continental. The engine log books most of the time have bare minimum info in them . The engine log book would be a place to start on the used 914. Is there any warranty on it ?

If you want to modify your cowl , possibly engine mount ? then there are more engine options.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I'm normally operating at DAs greater than 6-8000 ft. Given that I'm a huge fan of the 914 and its what I have in my SLSA. I'd say if the engine is currently hanging on an airplane, you can hear it run, start it and the compression check looks good then it is likely a tremendous deal. On the floor or in a box the values go down and it's much harder to judge.

Be Careful.. It could be a great deal.. but often, if it sounds too good to be true.....

The 914 can be punished easily with over boost, running cold, or even shocking it by not letting the turbo cool properly prior to shut down. All these can be issues and not easy to track.. Knowing where it came from and who can help. If no one has reset the TCU logs they can be looked at for over temp, over RPM or over boost.
    Unless you absolutely NEED the turbo.. I think the better money spent might be a new 912ULS.. Current pricing from us is $17692.00 for the 912ULS and we include the ring mount.

I flew the 912ULS in N102YB for over 1500 hours all over the US and have been about everywhere in the Idaho back country... The 914 is great when DA's are high or you are constantly operating from strips above 5000 msl. But I would still fly behind the 912ULS anywhere.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcbean View Post
    Be Careful.. It could be a great deal.. but often, if it sounds too good to be true.....

The 914 can be punished easily with over boost, running cold, or even shocking it by not letting the turbo cool properly prior to shut down. All these can be issues and not easy to track.. Knowing where it came from and who can help. If no one has reset the TCU logs they can be looked at for over temp, over RPM or over boost.
    Unless you absolutely NEED the turbo.. I think the better money spent might be a new 912ULS.. Current pricing from us is $17692.00 for the 912ULS and we include the ring mount.

I flew the 912ULS in N102YB for over 1500 hours all over the US and have been about everywhere in the Idaho back country... The 914 is great when DA's are high or you are constantly operating from strips above 5000 msl. But I would still fly behind the 912ULS anywhere.
    I'd say John's advice would be trump all given his vast experience with all the different options. I love the 914 for my mission, but its definitely a riskier and likely a more costly option in the long run than going with a new 912ULS. If I was doing it over, lived at a lower elevation, and my use was entirely pleasure, I'd probably go for a 912ULS over any of the other engine options including what I currently know about the iS. But again, my two cents is worth far less than John's. Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to order a new engine from John at kitfox. The guy that is selling it on barnstormer was not the easy to deal with. It might have been me for asking to many questions. I was paying with a debit card after I inspected the engine and was leaving my certified o-290 for him to rebuild. He said I would have to stay until the card cleared. Debit is instant!
    Well, I am glad I ask the question,that is a lot of money to put into an engine that you can not hear run. Ps. I think it came off a sea type airplane .justed order all my garmin stack from a/c spruce....this engine was not to be😐