Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 3M Fastbond 30NF

Default 3M Fastbond 30NF

I've been researching covering systems. I'm drawn to the idea of low VOC technologies and if I could feel safe covering/finishing on the dining room table with my kids/grandkids watching - all the better.

Oratex and Stewart Systems are two such choices - both having many examples of success.

In my research of Stewart Systems I learned that many like the EkoBond glue; a waterborne neoprene based contact cement. I also read a bunch about the 3M FastBond 30NF contact cement with some people opining that it is the same. The color choices, smell, and MSDS contents supporting such.

Although I ran across many that say they use it and all claim success what I couldn't find was technical data to support it as a replacement choice. I did find one post where a gentleman performed a comparative peel test.

DISCLAIMER: STC holders are held to a standard that does not allow them to modify the formula. Cabinet maker suppliers concentrate on a performance standard. Do not take my data as an indication that your bottle of glue will in any way perform similarly. If you choose to venture away from official airplane products decide on the performance standards you desire and test for yourself.

Okay, so I bought a bottle of 3M FastBond 30NF in natural. I couldn't find a strength standard specifically but from gleaning through many conversation I found that EkoBond has a peel strength of 6lbs for a 1 inch width strip. (from Jason of Stewart Systems in the Stewart Systems forums) I learned that the strength of EkoBond tested that passed the FAA testing requires a 1 inch glue overlap of fabric on fabric. (The STC and from Stewart Systems forum and youtube videos) I couldn't find anything about how strong the overlapped glue joint needed to be but I found that the FAA requires new medium fabric to pass a test where a 1 inch strip must support greater than 65 lbs.

I set out to do some experimenting. The first picture shows a 1 inch overlap glue joint - the fabric is PolyFiber Medium-3. I wiped it clean figuring this would be the worst case scenario.

The second picture shows the test fixture, a 2x4 that I wrapped and glued the fabric around. I cut it into 1 inch strips prior to gluing the last face so that I could use that face for peel testing. The overlap joint better survive the peel testing.

The third picture show how I tested peel strength. The square was used to verify that I was close to 90 degrees. The board is clamped to the lab bench . I pulled up on the fish/luggage scale. Oh yeah, I tested the scale against my trusty digital kitchen scale with calibrated water bottles. It showed a 5 gram difference and in playing I found it had 5 gram granularity.

Results: For peel I was indeed able to get 6lbs. It hovered between 5.7 and 6.3 (ish as it was pretty tough to pull and watch) I tried to capture a video but my phone camera had a real tough time capturing the digits on the blue screen. I ran the test over and over until I could get one picture to show you all. #4
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 3M Fastbond 30NF - fabric overlap testing

I broke this up because I don't know what this forum does with a lot of pictures.

Next up is to test the strength of the overlap joint.

Picture 1: 73lbs in the bucket. This is strip #2. Strip 1 failed when I added another brick (83lbs) by tearing where the vice grips where holding the strip to the bucket handle. On this one I have a square knot. It does not seem to have any problem holding this and I leave it for a little over a minute.

Picture 2: I added another brick and it held for a bit but I could hear threads snapping. It held for maybe 12 seconds and failed at the knot. I know from being a fisherman that the knot is usually the weak link and it does look like the knot cut through itself.

Picture 3: I tried first wrapping the strip around the handle, two half hitched on the handle, and then two half hitches back on the strip to prevent spinning. It would hold the 73lbs as long as I wanted. My wife came home at this time so I showed her the previous pics. (yeah, that ends up important) We chat, I explain the test, we marvel at the suspended bucket of bricks. This is stable - no sounds etc. I add the next brick. It's holding. I wait. This is going to hold I think. I better take a picture for my friends at TeamKitfox. Oops, I closed out the camera app to scroll through the pictures. No problem. Find camera app, wait, line up pict... WHOMP!

So I missed it holding 83lbs. I could hear the ping of a thread letting loose every now and then anyway. I am posting this picture because it shows the failure in the fabric about 1/2 inch above the knot.

I am satisfied with this. I believe the fabric will fail before the overlap does. No doubt my dining room laboratory does not show us the actual strength but I feel confident that it does show strong enough.

I suppose it's important again to point out that you shouldn't trust my assessment. But you could copy the method...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JohnF; 02-26-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Default Re: 3M Fastbond 30NF

So... What fabric/glue combination are you planning to use, John? Is there some reason you would use the 3M product over the Stewart glue? Is it cheaper, easier to use, or? I can give you some strips of Oratex if you would like to compare with the Polyfiber.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: 3M Fastbond 30NF

Hey John. I am planning the Stewart System with the Polyfiber fabric that came with the kit. The 3M glue is cheaper, about half (I bought that quart for $27 delivered Amazon prime). As for use, it's the same. My process was exactly that shown by Stewart Systems on their youtube videos. It seems plausible that it is the same product.

Less expensive is interesting but the geek in me was curious.

I actually do have some oratex but thanks for the offer.

Like EkoBond, it is very low odor (very!), no special breathing gear, no tyvek suit, and yes, the lab bench is my dining room table.

Default Stewart Systems

I am using Stewart Systems. I have been covering the tail feathers at home inside the house over the winter and there is absolutely no smell to either Ekobond or Ekofill. Easy to work with and water cleanup. After it cures it can be cleaned up with acetone.
    Thought about Oracover but that was way over my budget. I really liked the product and it is very tough but price killed it for me.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF