Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ads-b

Default Re: Ads-b

Remember, when ADS-B is fully functional, ATC will not have radar to see you anymore. Their only data will be from ADS-B out equipped aircraft. An advantage, the carrot on the stick, that ADS-B does give us is inflight data - WX and other aircraft location information.

Ralph

Ralph, the carrot you speak of comes with ADS-B "in". This is a totally different thing that requires different equipment and is not mandated for 2020. I agree though that it is great stuff for only another $1000 or so
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim, You are correct, I just didn't edit my comment completely. And, although Out is required and In is optional. In and Out does not have to be from the same device.

This, like most Government conceived processes, is confusing and without a reasonably comprehensive review, is full of many sources of mis-information.

I have read many articles, from many sources, private and governmental. Most leave me with a headache. Where I fly from, I am just within the 30 NM Mode C ring from SFO. We had a couple of FAA types from the FSDO come to our EAA meeting and they couldn't answer most of the questions from the floor. Not even the simple statement that ADS-B out is required within the Mode C Veil for SFO.

Go figure!

Ralph

If you are concerned with meeting the 2020 requirement and need a Transponder and an ADS-B, look at the new Garmin GTX-345. http://ads-b.garmin.com/en-US John McBean is a Garmin Distributor, you may want to talk to him. They also have a tutorial on ADS-B at the bottom of the Web Page.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Also Dynon Skyview and Advanced Flight Systems are fully compliant with 2020 ads-b out if you use their mode S transponder and newest GPS receiver. They also have and ads-b in module that integrates nicely with the glass panel for another $900 or so.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have been discussing this with GRT and they will be releasing a GPS source for their ADSB out in the near future.
    As a side note these WAAS GPS sources are for ADSB only. They technically are not GPS navigators, at least as I understand it...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I'm using an Ifly720 with the SkyGuardTWX Vision-Pro Plus ADS-B Transceiver.

From my home base (KHHW), Hugo Ok, I quite often fly down to Hicks, just north of Fort Worth. That takes me across the north side of DFW's Class B. Usually a lot of traffic in the area. Sure is nice to see it displayed on the 720.

My understanding is, with this equipment I am 2020 compliant.

I have had good service from both companies and am pleased with their products. Also have the Ifly on my Iphone and Ipad.

Hope this may be of some value as you try to figure all this out

Regards
    Rodney