Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ads-b

Default Ads-b

While I'm lying out my panel I'm looking at GPS's Transponders, Com radios, the usual VFR panel layout. It has been some years since I have been what you would call an active flyer, and I'm at an age now where I would be happy to be able to fly another ten years or so. Now this brings in question just what I need to put in my panel. I have tripped across a requirement that in 2020 you will pretty much need what is called ADS-B that as I understand it tells the FAA everything about your flights. I understand you may be able to get by the requirements with some transponders, but I'm not sure at all what exactly I will need to be safe legal, and still able to afford to fly. I don't plan to fly above 10K feet, I don't plan to fly into a busy airport, I just want to punch some holes in the sky and maybe make few interstate cross country flights. Mainly I will just be pulling my Kitfox on a trailer to various events and flying around the local patch, but I still want the ability to head out across country if I so get the urge. What would you recommend as for as a GPS, Transponder, and Com radio?

Default Re: Ads-b

While deciding on your primary stack is not a simple question I will share a few thoughts on the ADS-b part. The market is still changing fairly rapidly and I imagine many more options over the next few years. If your primary concern is the mandate then I would wait on that and get a basic comm radio (this should be relatively unaffected by the mandate), a used transponder and plan to make a few changes in 3-4 years.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

You are outside of the Kanas City airspace, so if you don't plan on flying into class bravo or charlie airspace, you won't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by grdev View Post
    While I'm lying out my panel I'm looking at GPS's Transponders, Com radios, the usual VFR panel layout. It has been some years since I have been what you would call an active flyer, and I'm at an age now where I would be happy to be able to fly another ten years or so. Now this brings in question just what I need to put in my panel. I have tripped across a requirement that in 2020 you will pretty much need what is called ADS-B that as I understand it tells the FAA everything about your flights. I understand you may be able to get by the requirements with some transponders, but I'm not sure at all what exactly I will need to be safe legal, and still able to afford to fly. I don't plan to fly above 10K feet, I don't plan to fly into a busy airport, I just want to punch some holes in the sky and maybe make few interstate cross country flights. Mainly I will just be pulling my Kitfox on a trailer to various events and flying around the local patch, but I still want the ability to head out across country if I so get the urge. What would you recommend as for as a GPS, Transponder, and Com radio?

I see a lot of people worried about the ADS-B mandate when they will never need it since they will never fly into class B or C airspace. To most of us it is just an unnecessary expense that we don't need to comply with.

I believe the mandate is for flying inside a Mode C ring or in Class B or C airspace. Basically anywhere you need a Mode C transponder now.

Not necessarily.

My 2 cents would be since you must buy a transponder, just get a mode S and you will be good to go. Also, since you probably will be buying a GPS, make sure you get a PANEL MOUNTED (not a portable) WAAS unit that is either certified or is specified as "performance equivalent" to certified WAAS units. With these two items paired together you will meet the 2020 ADS-B Out mandate. Yes by waiting a few more years the prices on these items will be coming down, however I doubt you will save anything by buying non-compliant units now and then replacing them later in just a few years. Its not a small job to replace panel mounted avionics since the new units rarely fit existing panel cutouts.

I also rarely fly in class B/C airspace, but it sure is nice to be able to use "flight following" on cross countries for safety and peace of mind since I almost never file a flight plan. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe after 2020 you will need ADS-B out to use flight following even if you are not in class B/C.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I appreciate this discussion. Since I will be closer to 100 than 60 in2020, I have been pretty much ignoring ADS-b. Now, I don't have to worry so much in the event I am still flying.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Appareo (ESG 1090), L3 (MSS) and Garmin (GTX335) now have transponders equipped with internal GPS. These will make you fully compliant for 2020. They are a little pricey, especially the L3.

Since my new play toy (1946 Ercoupe) was in dire need of a new com and a transponder, I sprung for the Trig products. I am happy so far. I will wait to add the Waas GPS until the deadline.

The coupe gives me something to fly around in while I finish up my SS7.