Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Replace 6 gal with 13 gal fuel tank

Default Replace 6 gal with 13 gal fuel tank

I've ordered a new 13 gal tank to replace my leaky 6 gal fuel tank. I've not yet started the replacement process but have a few question on what to expect. I'm assuming the old tank is bonded to the spars with Hysol or similar. What is a good method of removing the old bonding without damaging the spar? I will need to remove rib 2 to make room for the larger tank and possibly need to relocate the drag/anti drag tube. Should this be done while the wing is still securely attached to the inboard attach points or should I remove the entire wing and place on a sawhorse?

Thanks,
    Scott

Default Re: Replace 6 gal with 13 gal fuel tank

I went and redid the fabric on my wings about 3 years ago and decided to put a 13 in place of a 6. I also shorted the wings to the speedster. The result, the smaller tank also had bracing that needed to be changed along with the bigger tank install. Best to get the layout of the braces to make sure you are doing it right. In fact, just call John and ask him if there is a problem with the braces that zig zag through the ribs.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop