Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: After Market Fuel Injection

Default After Market Fuel Injection

I was asked to start our own thread on this topic. Last year we bought an SDS fuel injection system after many high reviews of the product.

The system will ballpark cost you about $3000-$3500 for the Rotax. That includes everything you need.

The system gets you 10% power or 10% more efficiency. Or a combo of less of both.

Due to my obvious lack of time in the past two years, we haven't hooked up the system fully and have not ran it. Scott Noble may chip in here as he is looking at the same system.

http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html

Default Re: After Market Fuel Injection

Will be interesting to see how this works out. I am going with the flyefii.com version which is built off of the SDS.
    The SDS system (and EFII) has a pretty good track record in auto racing and aviation.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

Yes, please keep us posted!! I looked at it, around the same time as you purchased yours, and realized I didn't have the time or enough knowledge in these systems to warrant buying one. Besides, I didn't want to be the test pilot.
    Hopefully as more of these units are sold and used there will be a baseline of feedback.

jmodguy,
    I looked at the efii site and didn't see anything for the Rotax, you have any other info for it?

I emailed Robert a few months back and he has put his system on hold for now.
    I am going with a Lycoming. The EFII system is pretty well tested on Lycomings, as is the SDS system.
    Regards
    Jeff

Josh good idea starting the post! I have been looking at a fuel injection system for a while now and this is what I've learned so far. I am still gathering info so this list will expand as I learn more.

EFI Advantages:
    1. Runs the Rotax smother throughout the RPM Range.
    2. Less maintenance than the Carbs. No Sync, rebuilds,
    3. Fuel Savings.
    4. Performance increase. More HP where you need it. Smooth Idle at 1400 RPM - Steeper decent.
    5. ???

Disadvantages:
    1. Flight depends on the Electrical system, fuel pumps, injectors, throttle body vs Carbs, mech fuel pump.
    2.???

I have looked at 3 possible solutions so far.

1.Flyefii.com - Not Rotax specific?
    2.EdgePerformance.no - Expensive and based on the SDS system and marked up. They are in Norway and the price is pretty high.
    3.SDS - http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html OR http://www.sdsefi.com/rotax.htm
    SDS has almost everything you need except the intake manifold. They are coming out with an intake manifold soon according to SDS. At this point this is my choice. Lots of advantages take a look at the links above.

I have taken a close look at and installed system from EdgePerformance. The owner had to rebuild the intake manifold to fit inside his cowl. The injectors stick out too far and the manifold sets too close to the gearbox. That has been my main concern fitting it on my Rotax 912 S under the Kitfox Super Sport cowl with Airmaster Prop control. You can find pictures they post on Facebook. The performance is very smooth and maintenance free according to the airplane mechanic.

I got a quote from SDS and I can get everthing except the intake manifold for around $3500. Including the following.
    EM-5 4D
    Hall sensor
    1 Bar MAP sensor
    Magnet disc
    Hall sensor mount
    Dual pump module
    4 X injectors
    4 X aluminum injector bosses
    AN6 regulator
    45mm throttle body bare aluminum or gold anodized
    Optional TPS
    Optional wideband AFR kit to tune the system .

We have the new fuel trim software now available which allows to to
    individually lean or richen each cylinder 10% in flight. That is a $300
    option if you want it.

I am looking at getting getting the manifold custom built like the one that I looked at.

I'll keep updating this post as my project continues.

Scott

Something you might want to consider for an electrically dependent system is failure modes. Your fuel pump and ECU will not function without power.
    Modern day autos will not run without a power source and neither will an aircraft engine with an ECU/electric pump. That said - your car is a bit less frightening if the power goes away.
    These concerns are not "project enders" or a reason to not do it if you have a plan to mitigate the risk.
    Typically backup batteries are used and there are battery management systems that will allow charging and use of a dual battery system. FlyEFII has a Bus Manager for dual batteries and I am sure there are others.
    I understand that there are even lightweight LiPO 12V batteries available now if you are worried about excess weight.
    Look into these products as you are planning your systems and you will have less to worry about when you are out and about and your battery goes south on you!

I'm using 2 batteries along with the generator so I'll have plenty of warning before I loose the redundant fuel pumps.

How long will the system operate on battery power -

When you load shed nothing?
    When you load shed EVERYTHING but the fuel injection/pump?

Quote Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
    How long will the system operate on battery power -

When you load shed nothing?
    When you load shed EVERYTHING but the fuel injection/pump?
    That would be determined by the battery "size", what other systems/devices you have installed and and would be best addressed by the manufacturer/distributor. The pump is definitely the power hog though...
    On your last statement you will also need power for the ECU, otherwise you would be squirting fuel into an engine with no spark!

Ross from SDS said you will have about 30 to 45 min of time in an electrical failure depending on your loads. I feel that is more than enough time in most situations to set yourself up for a non life threatening event. We are setting up our plane with an essential bus and then a secondary bus with a two battery approach as described in AeroElectric connection.

We adding a single injector in the middle of the intake manifold that will be a 70% power back up in the highy unlikely event of an ECU failure that will be controlled by a CB.