Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: After Market Fuel Injection

Default Re: After Market Fuel Injection

We'll have to see on the LL. I am running Mogas at so far. The manual does say to use Mogas. The ECU does not use the o2 sensor at this point. There are plans to incorporate it. At this point the expectation is to manually modify the map based on what you observe from the o2 sensor gauge and the egt's.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Scott, did you have to do anything with your AFS setup due to the EFI?
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Scott, glad to see you went with the system and you're happy with it. Are your running just one alternator still?

Makes me excited to finish my plane off.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Looks like your charging system may be barely keeping up, with amps running 23-14 and voltage at 13.2. Normally isn't the voltage at a steady 14.0? That Ducati regulator may at its upper limit. I know you ordered a Silent Hectic regulator; any word on when it might come?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Meant to say amps running 13-14.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim,
    My amps are running about 13A on average. My normal voltage has been 13.2 to 13.3 on average since I've been flying. The Ducati should be able to handle 20A. I am well within load capability theoretically. I know what happens if the regulator fails. That is why I installed an extra Earth X battery. I have 20Ah total so at 13A I should have well over an hour to get down safely. First sign of a regulator failure I'll be ordering the Alternator from Kitfox.

I didn't need to do anything to the Advanced Flight EFIS for this EFI upgrade. I have always had EGT's and coolant temps. I am getting much more balanced EGT's since EFI.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

OK, I just assumed your normal voltage was 14.0 same as mine. Sounds good so far, as long as the Ducati can handle a steady diet of 13 amps. Silent Hektic?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Is there a reason you ended up with the edge performance instead of SDS directly with the large price difference?

I went with Edge over SDS primarily because the SDS would not make a manifold that would work with the Airmaster slip rings that attach to the back of the gear box. The quality of the components(fuel pumps, wire harness, vacuum, fuel manifolds) of Edge EFI system are very nice. When I called SDS the answer was "NO". When I called Edge the answer was "No Problem". The customer service and support from Edge has been great.

The EFI system has been trouble free for around 200 hours now. I think any EFI system would be better on the Rotax than the carb setup.

There is no problem running LL fuel. The Wide band O2 sensor doesn't play well with LL. LL causes the AFR reading to be about 10% high. The wide band sensor was used to fine tune the fuel map in the ECU. Once the map was set the O2 sensor is just used to monitor the AFR(Air Fuel Ratio).

Average fuel burn is around 3.5 gal/hr. The most that I have burned is just under 4 gal/hr. The lowest is 3.04 gal/hr. I have flown 7 hours on full tanks several times. Throttle response and cold start up on this system is incredible. I think the EFI system was well worth the money. It is expensive with any luck the price will drop with competition and production efficiencies.

Another nice thing about EDGE is that it is Turbo and big bore is easily added. At this point I have more than enough power and performance for my flight envelope with EFI only. Good to know though.

I saw Rocky Mountain Kitplanes has been announced as the US vendor for Edge.

Hope this info helps.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

I have SDS. I bought mine before Edge was really a thing. I would go Edge. SDS has a really well developed product but edge has other features I like and like Scott said, you can add things on. Jason has been great with helping me with other things and I think their customer support would be better.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3