Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: After Market Fuel Injection

Default Re: After Market Fuel Injection

EFI Update

It's been a while since I posted my search for an EFI system. I decided on the Edgeperformance.no 4-1 directport fuel injection system.

20170702_185736.jpg

Lots of work went into determining what system would fit under my SS7 cowl. I ordered the "Trixy" intake with the injectors facing forward and aft to clear the cowl. The Trixy intake is swept aft for clearance for the Airmaster slip rings on the aft of the gearbox. The top of the intake clears the cowl by a little more than a 1/2 inch.

Over the past week or so I have been installing the system. The system consists of the intake manifold, Pressure Regulator, vac manifod, ECU, O2 sensor, wire harness, ECI relocation brackets, and Dual fuel pump with hoses and connectors. I've spent about 25 hours on the installation. I'm pretty happy with all the components so far. The system is installed and ready for operation. I found a leak on one of the AN 6 PTFE fuel fittings. This fuel system is really nice but you have to order/wait for everything. As soon as the fitting arrives I'll be starting the engine.

20170702_185755.jpg

I installed an extra EarthX(2.5lb offset by the weight saved on the EFI sys) battery that will automatically power the ECU and Fuel pumps in the event the Regulator and/or main Battery fails.

Thought there was interest on this upgrade so I'll keep you posted on the first run and results of the upgrade.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Hi Scotty,

Nice work - it will be good to hear how you find it when flying. What was your main motivation for doing it? Did you install the Earth X as an additional battery? I have the Earth X as the only battery with a bypass to start and run the engine in the event of computer system failure. (912is sport). Also, I've been away for nearly 4 weeks and the temps have been minus most evenings so I was curious as to the state of the battery on return. It showed 11.7 volts but started up the engine with ease. It has 300 hours on it now and I guess double or triple that no of starts. Happy with it so far and interested to see how many years I get out of it.

cheers for now

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Hay Ross,

My primary purpose of the EFI is to modernize the fuel system. The last push was the latest Rotax float recall. I had a sunk float last October and I'm still waiting for a float replacement. Luckily a good friend(Thanks John) came through with a spare float or I would have been grounded all winter/spiring. In the thread above I listed pros/cons for EFI.

I am running the second battery primarily to extend the range of my electrically dependent fuel pump and ECU power. The battery should give me an additional 45 minutes of power with the extra battery.

I will keep posting my progress as I continue this upgrade.

Good to hear from you Ross.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Looks like a clean install Scott. I imagine you are after more horsepower with this setup. Nice looking components.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Looking forward to a detailed performance report!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Nice write up Scott- thanks for taking the time to post. Anxiously awaiting results!😃👍

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Nice!
    Looking forward to your reports.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

'THIS IS HOW A ROTAX 912 ULS(Now Injected Sport) IS SUPPOSED TO OPERATE' My main goal for this installation was to get a smooth running engine. I couldn't be more happy with the results. This engine runs very smooth throuout the RPM range. With the ULS dual carbs I couldn't sync the carbs perfectly throughout the full RPM range. There was always a little rough spot around 2700 RPM and various other vibration issues. I can only imagine a smooth engine will help this engine last. An added benifit was a bit more HP and better fuel burn. At this point I'm think I gained about 4 mph in cruise and gains in fuel burn as well. I will update this post as I continue testing.

I have my EFI installed and over 3 hours of flight time so far. The installation took approximately 25 hours. I had one HP fuel hose leak otherwise the installation was pretty easy. Startup was even easier.

Below are my original arguments for doing this upgrade.
    EFI Advantages:
    1. Runs the Rotax smother throughout the RPM Range. Check
    2. Less maintenance than the Carbs. No Sync, rebuilds. Check
    3. Fuel Savings. Check
    4. Performance increase. More HP where you need it. Smooth Idle at 1400 RPM - Steeper decent. Check

Disadvantages:
    1. Flight depends on the Electrical system, fuel pumps, injectors, throttle body vs Carbs, mech fuel pump. The Ducati Regulator is handling the load so far. There is about an 8A load for the EFI system at full power. I installed a full size backup battery for extended range 2.5lb EarthX. This weight was more than offset by getting rid of the carbs ect.

This is a picture of my EFIS at my normal cruise settings.
    CRUISE 5200.jpg
    This is a picture of my EFIS at 5400 at 90% power setting.
    CRUISE 5400.jpg
    This is a picture of my EFIS at Vy Climb.
    CLIMB 5400.jpg

As you can see in the attached pictures ballanced EGT's, CHT's and great performance. I have a SS7 with 26" Airstreaks and an Airmaster. I was able to cruise at 139mph Max RPM. WOW is the best description.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Good news in your report Scott.

Sounds like your primary objective may have already been met. A few extra ponies is a pretty nice bonus especially if you don't have to feed them extra hay.

Best of luck. Will look for future feedback.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

How do the O2 Sensors you used like 100LL? There have been some reports in the past about that causing issues.