Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Trailer Help

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Trailer Help

I have trailered these planes both ways many times, and cannot understand why trailering forward would cause an issue? I actually think they trailer better forward. Trailering forward is more like it flies.

I've almost tore a rudder off a Kitfox trailering it backwards in high winds. And yes, I had boards as braces holding it from moving, but the newer planes with the tall vertical fin and rudder are hard to brace for strong winds. I ultimately had to remove the rudder on the side of the road.

Also had a friend trailering his backwards that tore his elevators in half from a semi passing him on the interstate, but I think his bracing was poor.

And the worst one was a friend trailering his plane (backwards) to airport for 1st flight. Wings apparently weren't secure, one wing swung out hitting a light pole, which ripped the whole plane off the trailer, leaving a completely trashed airplane on the side of the road (number one reason I ALWAYS put on a safety rope between wings along with metal braces when I trailer my folding wing planes. A $2 piece of rope would've avoided that whole situation).

If it were me I'd trailer it forward, using a car hauler or flatbed trailer with tandem axles and some weight to it to absorb the bumps (light trailers bouncing the plane around is really bad, Avid learned that early on with trailering their prototype around). And I'd brace the tail feathers extra good with carpeted boards bolted together at tbe ends, add a safety rope to keep wings from any possibility of moving out, and make absolutely certain there's padding/bracing so the flaperons will stay in their up position (that might have been cause of kitfox rear fuse damage in the previous picture?)

Also make sure to use the steel braces that go from the leading edge pin to the lower strut attach so as to avoid any damage to the rear carry through spar (aka as the head rack). And drain all the fuel into cans so as to minimize weight on the rear spar attach area.

And of course double up on securing the entire plane to the trailer using the flex of the gear to absorb bumps, but also secure it so if a gear was to fail the aircraft would still be secured to the trailer. (Fwiw, dont trust tailwheel springs, block the plane up so weight is off tail spring, then tie it. Those lightweight, small tail springs don't handle road bumps well).

And last, tie the prop so it can't turn, avoiding potential engine or gearbox issues from turning dry.

Oh, and if someone suggests shrink wrapping it, don't do it. Hot sun will extra shrink the wrap enough to bend things, causing lots of damage by the time you get home.

I feel for you Paul, and if I lived near you I'd be more than happy to help you get your beautiful Kitfox home. Unfortunately I'm a thousand miles the other direction

One last suggestion I just thought of, maybe look into those plane mover guys that sometimes advertise on Barnstormers. They use enclosed trailers, which is still the best way to avoid damage, especially long distance.

Hang in there buddy. You'll get it home soon and fixed and will be back to enjoying it like you used to before
    Last edited by av8rps; 01-16-2016 at 10:15 AM.