Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitfox SS won't start

Default Kitfox SS won't start

Well I flew from Dallas to Meridian MS. I got up this morning, to leave for Sebring. The plane will not start crank, and crank, and crank. No signs of life. I put a charger on the battery, and called Ronny Smith South Mississippi Rotax, and John McBean. John thought it might be a bad battery, Ron thought it was the electronic modules. I replace the battery, humm cranks faster. No spark. I replace the electronic modules after driving 98 miles to Ron to borrow a set of modules. Neither worked, and I put the old modules back in.

I was thinking of renting a uhaul and remove the wings put them in the back of the uhaul, and rent a auto hauler trailer than drive it to Sebring.

I plan on calling all 4 Rotax repairmen in Mississippi to see if one could come help me get it running. I don't have timing light, volt ohm meter or other tools that are needed to trouble shoot.

Any recommendation.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Default Re: Where I Fly.

What type of ignition switch do you have? Could it be shorted out?
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

+2 on the failure of the Off-Left-Right-Both-Start switch. I had mine fail with the same results.

Go to the local auto parts store and get two heavy duty toggle switches and a button for the start function, along with the needed wire and connectors. This may be a bit of a project away from home, but do-able.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Kitfox SS won't start

(I also moved this to it's own thread for future reference.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    +2 on the failure of the Off-Left-Right-Both-Start switch. I had mine fail with the same results.

Go to the local auto parts store and get two heavy duty toggle switches and a button for the start function, along with the needed wire and connectors. This may be a bit of a project away from home, but do-able.
    I have one of the Off-Left-Right-Both-Start switch. It will crank the engine. But I do not know if it is getting voltage to the electronics.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I am also thinking a p lead grounding problem , possibly a fault in the switch.

Sorry to hear of your problem really bad timning for you.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Anyone looking for a slightly used Kitfox?
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Any inline fuses or circuit breakers between the battery and engine?

I had a boat that blew an inline fuse on the outboard after a thunderstorm. All it did was crank. I just about went crazy trying to fix it for days only to have it be a stupid fuse.

I've been working on the Rotax 912 ULS, I have replaced the battery, it does spin a lot faster when attempting to start. I have tried swapping the electronics modules with some I borrowed from Southern Mississippi Rotax yesterday, but neither did the trick, it still doesn't start. In working on it, I notice the small angle bracket that holds the dual coil mounts assembly number 29 part numer 851-266 on the front pilots side had broken again. Replacing that will be my 4th bracket. I even order 2 brackets the last time I worked on it because so I would have a spare. A lot of good that did me, it's in my tool box in Dallas. The dual coil mount assemblies look to be held in place by a total of the three rubber isolation mounts. It does bounce around a lot when the bracket shears. I'm guessing it may be a broken ground wire or a wire associated to the coils due to all of the vibration because the mount having broken. I'll call in to tech support to see where to look for the grounds or wires.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Z; 01-12-2016 at 04:46 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

If the problem is in the switch on a Continental or Lycoming you can remove the P lead at the magneto and it should run. Their mags are always hot unless you ground them which is what the switch does to shut them off.

If you remove the P lead the engine should be regarded as ready to run with a bump of the prop. Thus it is not safe to leave it in this configuration on the ground.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)