Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Encoders

Default Re: Encoders

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Some of the ads b products coming out still support the older parallel/ gray code encoders.

Somewhere in your decision matrix you need to consider if you're going to take advantage of the ads b input and the weather & traffic info it provides. If so, you have to be careful to pick a solution compatible with the software you use.

I use Foreflight with a Stratus 2 receiver. For me, the Navworx solution wouldn't be a good choice because it's not supported by Foreflight. I'm considering purchasing the Appareo ESG transponder since it will work with Foreflight/Stratus, my existing AK-350 altitude encoder and includes the WAAS GPS source that I don't currently have. It will replace my GTX-327 transponder which I believe will still have decent resale value.

Neither the Navworx ADS600-EXP or Appareo ESG are shipping yet, so it would be good to see them roll out and get some time on them.
    The Navworx ADS600-EXP units are shipping now... I received mine about a month ago. I have an iFly 740 for the Kitfox, & also run FlyQ on my iPad - I love both of those platforms/programs, so Foreflight isn't an issue for me. It'll send traffic & weather to iPad apps like Seattle Avionics FlyQ, Hilton WingX, and iFly - it has built-in WASS GPS & WiFi. It also displays on non-proprietary systems such as Advanced Flight Displays (AFS), and Grand Rapid Technologies (GRT) EFIS's. You can connect via the WiFi &/or an RS-232 Serial channel. It meets the ADS-B Final Rule Technical Amendment, dated 2/9/2015, affecting 14 CFR 91.225 (b)(1)(ii) which permits ADS-B OUT in the NAS with devices that meet the performance requirements of TSO-C154c. The price is $1299 at this time.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    The Navworx ADS600-EXP units are shipping now...
    I'm glad they're shipping now. One of their web pages is out of date and states they'll start shipping around June 1. It would be interesting to hear your impressions if you get a chance to try it out.

One of the features I really like about their product is the "AutoStealth(tm) Mode" that randomizes the ICAO code and sets your N number to "N0" when you're flying VFR.

Sorry for hijacking the encoder thread Dave. I'll stop now.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Over the last 30 years I have used both Trans-Cal and ACK 30s in different planes and never had a problem with either.

Appreciate the comments and info....and the data on ADS-B rrelated to this equipment.

Dave S