Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto pilot for a Kitfox???

Default Auto pilot for a Kitfox???

I am almost afraid to ask about auto pilots (AP) for a Kitfox and this is the reason why.
    Years ago when I was shopping for a Van's RV-6, I asked a seller if his RV-6 had an AP.
    He scolded me as if it was blasphemy to consider an AP for a sport airplane.
    I do not want an AP for going gravel bar hopping, its for when I go to 11,500 and stay there for 4 hours in the same heading.
    Tru Trac has a 2 axis AP called the ECO including servo operated trim tabs for $1000.00 .
    This design reduces the cost considerably.
    I talked to John McDean regarding the the ECO and he personally does not care for trim tabs.
    I also would prefer conventional AP servos but they weigh approx. 3 pounds each and sell for $750 each.
    For those that have AP's in a Kitfox, I would appreciate hearing from you about the installation and how it is working for you and which one do you suggest.
    For example; if it is a 2 axis AP, which control surfaces do you attach the servos to for wing leveling?
    Seems like the obvious answer would be the flaperons but it seems like i use the rudder for small wing leveling adjustments.
    How challenging is it to install the servos?
    Would you do it again?
    Thanks
    Herman

Default Re: Auto pilot for a Kitfox???

Herman, there have been many times on long cross country flights I would have liked an auto pilot for brief intervals. Like you I've yet to justify the cost unless you have a glass panel already that will operate one like MGL or Dynon. Then all you need is the servos which as you say are pricey. I would hook up to the flapperons and elevator push pull tubes under the baggage areas of most late model Kitfoxs. My elevator trim tab moves too slow to be reliable for bumpy flights. No way it could keep up.

I've flown in a model 5 that had a wing leveler and that was nice while reading a map or reaching for something behind the seats.

I would like an AP in my new 7 SS but I'll likely have to spend funds on ADS-B out first.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I have a Dynon AP which I find really nice for longer flights.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=207
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I have a Dynon 74 autopilot with servos connected to flaperons and elevator, Haven't flown yet, in the late spring, I hope.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Check out the GRT Mini AP. Went to the factory and checked it out. I'll be installing the Mini-AP in my KF 5.
    Regards
    Jeff

It is nice to know that others would consider an AP has being handy in a Kitfox.
    The Tru Trac for $1000 seems like a bargain for a stand alone unit.
    The negative is adding more trim tabs.
    The Tru Tracs have been installed on Vans RV's so why not a Kitfox?

Jmodguy
    Do you mind sharing the pricing of the GRT system and what it takes to drive it?

Thanks for the photos showing how the servos get installed.
    Herman

Quote Originally Posted by herman pahls View Post
    It is nice to know that others would consider an AP has being handy in a Kitfox.
    The Tru Trac for $1000 seems like a bargain for a stand alone unit.
    The negative is adding more trim tabs.
    The Tru Tracs have been installed on Vans RV's so why not a Kitfox?
    Herman,
    There are plenty of Kitfoxes flying with Tru Trac APs. I agree with Steve that using the tiny servos driving trim tabs might not be as good as directly driving the control surfaces with larger, conventional AP servos. Additionally, the installation would probably be more work. I'm putting a Tru Trac in my Kitfox - it's an older, simple model (Digitrac), single-axis. It's the same as I installed in my other homebuilt, and I love it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I was thinking about teaching my wife how to fly. Would that count?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'm with you Larry. I built a wooden mockup of the Dynon servo (will be using Skyview, etc.) to aid in designing/fabricating a mounting bracket and put mounting "studs" in-place for a roll servo prior to covering. However, I'm not sure that I will actually install one as I expect my wife will be with me on any trips, and she has talked learning to fly also. (Pretty sure she is afraid to be a non-pilot wife of a husband who conks out while airborne.)
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Don't know what the RV guy's problem is, but one of the things I love most on my Kitfox is the two axis autopilot.

Mine is tied into my Ifly720 and is absolutely wonderful. It is a trutrac and has altitude hold capability. I can also manually dial in rate of climb and rate of decent.

It makes flying cross countrys so relaxing and fun. Now I get to really enjoy seeing the country side. Also, can concentrate on traffic when close to Dallas class B.

After flying with one, you will never be sorry for putting one in if you can.

Regards
    Rodney