Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto pilot for a Kitfox???

Default Re: Auto pilot for a Kitfox???

Thanks again for the added advice.
    It did not take much to convince me that the conventional servos connected to the controls is superior and easier to install than going with servo operated trim tabs.
    Is there a stand alone AP that is 2 axis?
    Cost?
    I have not flown an AP so I assume the 2 axis maintains altitude and heading and also keeps the wings level.

Larry
    I do not have room for a human wing leveler if I fly this thing to Alaska.

Herman

I have an auto pilot my right arm. I bought the plane to fly not for the plane to fly me. Just my stupid opinion. Have fun build it for you, if you want an AP have fun.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by herman pahls View Post
    Thanks again for the added advice.
    It did not take much to convince me that the conventional servos connected to the controls is superior and easier to install than going with servo operated trim tabs.
    Is there a stand alone AP that is 2 axis?
    Cost?
    I have not flown an AP so I assume the 2 axis maintains altitude and heading and also keeps the wings level.

Larry
    I do not have room for a human wing leveler if I fly this thing to Alaska.

Herman
    Hi Herman, I was lucky and found a new trio EZ pilot that a guy on this list was selling for $2000 a few years ago (normal cost is around $3000 with 2 servos). It is a 2 axis which means it handles pitch and roll duties. I kept it simple and this autopilot is used in cruise once course and altitude are established. As we know the Kitfox handles great for sport flying but on long cross country flights it easy to gain a few hundred feet or drift 30 degrees off course when looking at my sectional . This is where the autopilot is great. As others have said , the autopilot makes your cross country flights much more relaxing and enjoyable. The photos show the roll and pitch servo installation and the autopilot head on my instrument panel. As you can see I have a vintage panel (cause I am a vintage guy) and the autopilot is a stand alone (not tied in to or driven by EFIS or any flight instruments). Roll control is handled by lower left control head , pitch by the altitude button to the right of the roll control head in the photo. Good luck with your decision. Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

I installed in my Fox a DIY 2 axis autopilot (and servo rudder trim) based on 3drobotics AP, strong RC servos and BT connection to tablet software Ardupilot. Works very well in roll in all modes (including GPS nav), in pitch might need tweaking but my Fox is quite nose heavy having a Subaru engine.
    Not bad for an under $500 AP.

I'm planning to try Trutrak Eco's route to move controls to trim tabs, I have been thinking for some time to this and their satisfaction will push me to try it in spring.

The white box is the AP with manual switch to stabilize, loiter and pass through for the other modes from the tablet.

I received an inquiry about the TruTrak Digitrak A/P, and inadvertently deleted the email... I can't find any record of it on this site, although it was sent through TeamKitfox. If the sender sees this, will you please send me another message?

To answer one of the questions he asked (that I remember) ... I don't know if there is anyone still selling this autopilot (perhaps new - old stock) since TruTrak stopped making this particular model. It has been a very reliable, simple single-axis A/P, and I've had one in my T-18 for many years. I've got a new one in the box for my Kitfox. Very light, & simple operation. It'll do standard rate turns in either direction, hold a heading or course with a built in magnetometer or GPS signal from several different brands of GPS - Garmin, iFly, etc. It'll track a course very nicely. It'll get you down through the clouds safely if you do something stupid and find yourself somewhere that you don't want to be. Nice to have on a long cross country when you want to take your hand off the stick to study a map or something.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

John
    I have never flown with an autopilot and know little about them.
    I noticed your reply and would like to understand how a single axis AP can give you both standard rate turns and get you "down out of the clouds".
    Seems like you would need a 2 axis to control the ailerons for standard rate turns and and the elevator to get you down out of the clouds.
    Thanks
    Herman

Herman,
    My experience is that it is relatively easy to set up a reasonable rate of descent with power & elevator trim, & monitor that, while relying on the A/P to keep the wings level and control roll, if you are not competent to do that with instruments. It is much harder to keep the wings level under hard IMC (for someone who is untrained). I'm not trying to imply that it's smart, or legal, to get into a situation where you might have no other choice, but it might save your life if you did. That's all I'm saying.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Excellent point john. While it is never our intent to get into such a situation, that fact is that it can happen. And when it does its not fun.

Talked to trutrak yesterday at sunnfun about their latest $1000 two axis a/p. They said they dont have one ready for the kitfox yet but are in talks with john mcbean.

Here is my auto pilot set up in my KitFox SS7. It's a Dynon Skyview Auto Pilot. I started with a 2"x2"x0.125" AL angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!