Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kitfox product - tail light housing

Default New Kitfox product - tail light housing

New product announcement - Kitfox Tail Light Housing. Increase your visibility and safety by adding a tail light to your Kitfox!

We have developed a new tail light housing to fit the Whelen MB-1 strobe light on the Kitfox Speedster tail option. This part is 3D printed and weighs less than 1 oz. It can be installed before or after covering, providing an incredibly clean installation either way. The part can be painted to match aircraft paint to maintain the clean flow of the tail. We have planned the location so strobe flair does not interfere with the pilot's visibility in the cockpit. It's the perfect fit for your Kitfox!

The kit includes the housing, wire and screws. The cost is $92.00 and the kit is available now. The Whelen light can be sourced separately.

Email us or call us to place your order.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New Kitfox product - tail light housing

Installed....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool. I saw this on the back of the STi kitfox and was wondering about how the strobe was on the rudder like that.

Very nice!

By the way Brandon, any progress on the elevator gap seals Kitfox was working on?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Looks great, any plans on other brand setups?

Jim Ott, I've not been involved in the gap seal. John may have better info if you want to drop him a line.

Jim, the base profile is the same for the Whelen and the AeroLED. However, the AeroLED has a long aluminum post hanging off the back that interferes with the rudder structure. We tried to work with them to modify their design and they didn't want to. To make our housing accommodate their light meant that it had to be extended and protrude farther off the aft end of the rudder and was not aestheticly pleasing, in our opinion.

If there is another brand you are thinking of, let me know and I can take a look at it. We have been very pleased with the Whelen and it makes the plane much more visible when behind the airplane....and the light itself is a reasonable price.

Hope that helps.
    Brandon

Now that this has been out a while, any suggestions on when is better to install this? Before or after covering?

I installed it after because I wasn’t aware that they sold it prior to me doing fabric and paint. It looks great! I painted it then glued it on with a white silicone of some type. (My rudder is white)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

And for all of you who did this (Brandon), How did you run the wire between the vertical and the rudder? Flex conduit? Just wire?

Just wondering. Appreciate any inputs. Oh and sorry for the hijack.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

I ran shielded wire with a rubber grommet in the hole that I drilled on the rear fiberglass part of the vertical stab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered