Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailering backwards

Default Re: Trailering backwards

Greg, IMO, the only way I'd consider what you are proposing is with the use of an enclosed trailer. Going from home to the local airport or the rare emergency haul is one thing on an open trailer, but making a steady diet of it is quite another.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

John has hit the nail on the head. Its the rain. I have used a trailer to transport my SS7 tri-gear the 2 miles to the airport for several years and found no practical method of closing off the baggage area from rain. As to the question
    of frontwards or backwards, It is much easier to load for backwards transport.
    I use a modified pontoon boat trailer. See the sticky on home page of the forum about trailering a kitfox.

Here's the trailer I started building. It began as a 24' boat trailer. I shortened the back a couple of feet and you can see it has extra off the back so I think a 20' would work well. This one just happened along. I still need to finish the forward portion of the ramp, put lights, and register it. I dropped it for now while I finish the plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I live so close to the airport I will just use my atv to pull it up there. Been looking for a used enclosed camper, and plans to maybe build one, but haven't really found either one. I did buy a boat trailer a lot lot Kens I'll pick up this week end. That should should work well for me to tow plane to Wisconsin for the summer months.

There are some pics of my homebuilt open trailer on my albums page.
    I have since upgraded to my "covered wagon ".
    I have found that single axle trailers are much easier to get the proper hitch weight.
    Good luck
    Don

Here's an example of an enclosed trailer that's been working quite well for me. It came in fairly light at 1980# empty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all
    Someone sent me a private message a short while ago regarding plans and or materials used for the trailers shown in my albums.
    I accidentally deleted the enquiry.
    Could you resend if still interested.
    Thanks
    Don

Thomas, that is the best setup i have seen. Maybe some day i will attempt enclosing my boat trailer. And the weight of it is great.

Ken,
    This trailer started out as a boat trailer. We built the deck, put the kitfox on the deck and built the enclosure around it. My friend/fabricator came up with the idea to build a trough into the deck which allows the tail to drop down. The problem is this was certainly not economically feasible. Too much labor and materials are high priced when buying small quantities. It's a single purpose trailer but keeping the weight down and the wedge shape nose helps it pull easy and very stable. I think your open trailer would be a great candidate to become enclosed.

Tommg, do you have any inside pictures of your trailer? It looks rather low at the front where the tail goes, do you raise the tail about a foot to transfer weight to the main gear.