Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Who has been the highest in their Kitfox?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Who has been the highest in their Kitfox?

I've been up to 14K on several occasions. Still climbing about 300fpm. This picture was taken at 12.5 on my way west to Burning Man in 2014. I often end up cruising for an hour or two at that altitude to get over the mountains in smoother air. You can't read it in the posted picture but the true airspeed on the EFIS is 105 mph. The power was 5200 in a short wing model IV with a 912 ULS. Must have been a pretty nice day as I am not wearing gloves. Often it is in the 40's up there even in August.

I have no issues with performance at those altitudes but I always keep in mind the altitude chamber training I had many years ago. I always keep in mind that I am not at 100% when the air is that thin. I would not go over 10K at night for that reason.

The second picture shows a good reason for climbing to altitude. 11.5 in this picture taken this year over Nevada, Utah, Colorado or New Mexico. For 3.8 hours the tailwind held and I made it from Ely NV to Farmington, NM throttled back to 5000 rpm. Had over an hour of fuel remaining when I landed. Despite the wind and terrain it was a smooth flight.
    Attached Images Attached Images