Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 582 Power Issue??

Default Re: 582 Power Issue??

Just a clue on the cutback while taking off but not on a static thrust check: The takeoff has a sporty acceleration that throws the fuel back against all surfaces (tanks, filters, fuel lines, header tank) so there could be some readjustment of the stuff that forms the blockage that wasn't seen statically. An acceleration of about .2 Gs (4 knots per second) will "look" like a 12 degree upslope to the fuel system.

and maybe ram air pressure .fuel issues can be a pain to figure out

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm gonna dump the tanks this weekend filter it as i do to see if i get anymore residue. Plan on replacing all rubber hoses after the aluminum line that goes from header tank to the gas collator, l replaced that last year. Will probably remove gas collator and go with regular see through filters. Gonna recheck the floats on the carbs also. Due the measurement on gas level in bowl to verify. Will keep all posted on results..

Anything new about your power issue?

Olaf
    Olaf
    Bonn - Germany
    Kitfox III 582 GSC Prop
    Youtube-Channel

Hey Olaf, and others.
    I did drain the tanks and filter through a coffee filter as I did, all was clean. I did notice a very bright reflection from inside the tanks when I looked inside them, they appear to be metal?? I verified the floats on the carbs they were good. Also noticed that when I filled tanks back up real good flow all the way up to the manual pump. Couple throws with the prop and bowls full again. Went out for a test flight, rpms only dropped to 5700 on take off. Climbed to 1000' AGL, 1800MSL leveled off and flew to a friends house maintain 6000 rpms all the way. Set down in the field at his house, on my departure there I actually maintained 5900rpms on take off and climb out at 500fpm, no steeper do to bumps in the tabulate air. Here's the fun part, headed due east to my brothers house 30miles away, with a tail wind and 6000 rpms I set right on the 100mph vne, ground speed was 115. Set down at his house, and yep you guessed it, 2 cycle again 5600 max rpm on departure till leveled off then right back up to 6000rpms??? So now I have removed the gascolator, and the primer (never use it anyway) and replaced it with the see through filter, changed all the gas lines from the shutoff valve in the cockpit to the engine. Am presently waiting for time off and decent weather to test. Oh yea I did ohm everything electrical (wires,caps,coils,mags), all checked good measuring right on the specs..

Something else to check. I had a similar issue that I could reproduce. Level flight ..OK. Nose up to climb at full power and engine would go lean and sag. Long story short, what I found was the hose that comes off the crankcase to pulse the fuel pump had over time been restricted down to about half its I.D. The nipple on the crankcase is not that long, and at every condition inspection we all check/tweek all the hose clamps to make sure they are tight , right? Well after about 6 years of tweeking the hoseclamp (which hung just oveer the end of the crankcase nipple) restricted the pulse line enough that there was enough fuel for level flight but not for a full power climb. Thank God and Greyhound that I had an electric pump to turn on which made the motor go loud again. Of course I checked all fuel lines, filters, carbs etc. but when I finally found this, it was obviously the culprit.

Angry Re: 582 Power Issue??

Finally got a day off and decent weather to test latest fixes on power loss. Gascolator removed, replaced with inline filter. Primer removed with gascolator, didn't use anyway. New 1/4" hose from cockpit shutoff to pump. also replaced supply from engine crankcase to pump. Set so long it was a little sluggish starting, (25° outside). 5 min. warm up full power take off dropped to 5500rpm till leveled off right back up to 6300rpm. So I guess only thing left to check now is the rebuilt carbs? I did notice that as cold as it was when I backed power off to 5000rpm for cruise 1 egt went to 1350 other stayed at 1175-1200. They run at 1050 to 1150 under power, and drop way off to 900ish power backed off for landing. So at this point whats thoughts on electric pump backup! Hasn't needed one up till now but?? Still flying solo I've practiced take offs enough that 5000 rpm will get me off the ground at about 200' a min. climb and I don't need power to land, so till the crops go back in the whole country side around me is a runway.

Eugene.

Eugene, have you checked the carb. jets to see if not plugged or loose?
    We had a 912 with a loose main jet land at our local airport after a major power loss.
    Just thought might be another item to check.
    Dan G.
    Model IV 1200 - Tri-gear
    Jabiru 2200
    Flying

An electric fuel pump is a cheap experiment and could not hurt to try. It is not very time consuming to put in place and see if it makes a difference. If you replace the filters with see thru make sure they are large enough to allow flow even when slightly blocked (stay away from paper if you can, water can make the paper swell and stop flow). the small ones with the brass filtering media work great until they get plugged and stop flow (doesn't take much). Clean the carbs again even if you already did (take jets out and clean individually not just open and spray bottom of carb). Main jet is rather large but may have some old gas varnish stuck on inside causing flow issues. That one egt is high, I would drop the clip on the needle (raising the needle in the carb slide. I know supposedly the needle is not effective at that throttle range according to the book (trust me, it is). Looking back at your post under full power 1175 is a bit high (for me). I get my cruise egts in the 1125-1150 and my full throttle at about 1050. Your main jet comes in to play at full throttle and your needle will be effective all the way up to 6000 rpms . I know others will disagree about how high the needle is effective and that is fine. I know this from working on my own 582 so take it or leave it. This assumes you want 6500 max straight and level with a cruise in the 5800-6000 range.
    Last edited by tx_swordguy; 01-31-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Don't know if it was mentioned or not, and you really shouldn't need them normally, but do you have the ram air tubes in your gas caps on your wing tanks? They pressurize the tanks a bit and help fuel flow while in flight. Jim Chuk