Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heated Vests

Default Re: Heated Vests

I plug into the plane's electrical system. Using an inline on/off switch works but the control would be nice to have. I would like to have one but it is too expensive for a poor man.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Over a year ago I was thinking about getting a heated vest, but never bought one. Well, earlier this month I bought one for my wife to give to me for Christmas (greatest idea ever). Today was the test flight. Perfection!! I was warm again. The one I got is a Tour Master with a dual heat controller so I can also purchase a set of socks later on. It's 12 volt and plugs into the cigarette lighter. One of the things I really like is it has a stand up heated collar. The controller has 5 heat settings and gets hot almost instantly. I had to keep turning the heat down to find a comfortable setting. My plane does have a heater but I think it will only keep the already cold air from getting colder. If you live/fly in cold weather, the heated vest is the best deal ever!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Glad it works well Steve. Would think it would tax the charging system somewhat but obviously not. I hate to be cold anymore.
    When you get a minute, pop a photo of it on site.
    Happy New Year to you both.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The 503 and 582 put out 175 watts from the lighting coils. The 912 puts out a little more. My Gerbings heated vest takes 47 watts. My only other electrical accessory is the starter so no lack of electrical power for the vest.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks Tom. They seem to be very efficient.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I commuted 35 miles on the freeway wearing a Gerbing heated windbreaker with heated gloves that attached. I still wore my leather riding jacket over the top and I was totally comfortable in 35 degree drizzling rain. My thighs were frozen when I got to work but it didn't bother me on the ride in. Hooked it right up to the battery of the bike easily.