Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appraising a partially assembled KitFox?

Default Appraising a partially assembled KitFox?

Argh... typed in a whole long message and then the website wouldn't accept it. Would a professional aircraft appraiser be able to give a reasonably accurate estimate of value if the kit was never fully assembled?

Elderly parents, dad is now in a nursing home and Mom needs to sell assets to help with expenses. Plane has been sitting in the garage sans skin for some years now. Unsure of the exact model but I do have the manual and packing list at home, I believe they purchased the kit in the late 1990's.

Thanks, Laura

Default Re: Appraising a partially assembled KitFox?

I would suggest you get more info available and post it up here. Don't know if a professional appraiser would have much experience with experimental homebuilts. Let us know what you have, pictures would help a lot. Is there an engine with it, what is it's condition, type, ect, ect, Prop? Instruments? Fabric and chemicals for the fabric? Lots of people have bought or know of others who bought kits that have sat for a while and so might be able to give you some ideas on price. This topic has come up many times on this and other Kitfox related sites. You can find more info in the achives if you search for it. Best bet though is tell us what you have. Take care, Jim Chuk

I have purchased 9 kits, or partial kits so far, so I can go ahead and give you a good estimate. But note, demand is down for 1/2 built kits right now, better to wait until Spring to sell.

To get a good estimate, please provide the following information:

The model version and gross weight (example: Model-4, 1200 lbs)
    State of wing assemble. Box of parts, or framed out or fabric covered?
    Engine mount, installation kit or engine included? What model engine?
    New in the box radio and flight instruments, engine instruments?
    Window Glass, door glass included?
    Fiberglass cowling included?
    Landing gear and wheels included, and if so, is it a tail dragger or have aluminum spring main landing gear?
    Other extras, such as landing lights (new in the box is best)

That should do it
    Roger

Finally got some pics, I'll have specs and details later this week. Note that this is sitting in the garage which is also full of junk so I couldn't get nice clean photos.

This forum won't let me insert pics into a thread so I'll see if I can attach them

Here are pics of the engine and prop. Bombardier engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the instrument panel and cockpit, I need better pics tho

Wings are attached and folded back, the flap things are hanging on the wall

More pics to come... are these helpful?

Laura

Mom says that he never bought the skin. There is a bunch of stuff underneath in boxes but I haven't had a chance go to through it.

Wheels are on the plane, I'm sure they are dry rotted tho, and it has a little wheel at the tail. (I remember they were excited to be able to tow it to a little airport about 5 miles away.) The frame seems complete, I think the seats are molded plastic. Unsure about window/door glass, the packing list is about 10 pages long so I will have to go through it and compare what's in the boxes.

Laura

Laura;
    Well the good news is you can pull the plane out of the garage, unfold the wings, and it looks pretty much like an airplane, as opposed to a big pile of parts. Though the engine is minimal for this plane, it is mounted and does have a prop, so this will add value to the sale price. However, I am unsure if this is a model-4-1200 or a one of the lesser gross weight planes. Flyable model-3 can be had today for $11,000, and those are completed and registered planes. In general, the market is well stocked with older partially build kitfox planes (though the newer and larger versions are still hard to come by on the cheap)

If it is a 1200 lbs gross weight plane, then I would put a Spring price tag on it of $9,995. However, at that price you will be waiting awhile to sell, and be bombarded by endless tire kickers and other callers “wanting to know more”, trying to make a trade, and of course upset if you can’t give them an "exact" count of what is missing from the kit. However, at a price of $7,995, it will be sold more quickly, purchased by a guy knowing a few things might be missing. At $6,995, it will be sold in a week or two, no questions asked….
    Hope this helps
    Roger

Quick glance, looking at the rib tails, I can see it's not a Kitfox 4. A model 3 or earlier. It should say on the packing lists and other paperwork what model it is I would think. Jim Chuk

Wing ribs look pretty clearly to be under-cambered airfoil. This would definitely make it not a model IV, right?