Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appraising a partially assembled KitFox?

Default Re: Appraising a partially assembled KitFox?

It's either a 2 or 3. The door openings eliminate a 1 and the wing eliminates a 4.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

This definitely is a 3 or earlier. It has the knuckle joint in the flaperon linkage so it will fold without disconnecting. That feature went away with the model 4.
    Last edited by tommg13780; 11-11-2015 at 04:18 PM. Reason: sp

Kit looks identical to mine. I have kf2.

40angst-

Clearly your Dad was special person to undertake building and flying his own aircraft, and it is always sad when dreams go unfulfilled. I am sure someone here will be honored to pick up where he left off and get his Kitfox out of the garage and into the air where it belongs. I'm sure that would bring a smile to his face!

You have either a Model 2 or Model 3 Kitfox, the necessary identifying items are not visible in the pics posted. Here are a few of the 'tells' you can look for...

Lift strut outside diameter increased from 3/4" o.d (M2) to 7/8" o.d (M3)
    F/R Wing spar carry thru tubes increased to 1" o.d. (M3)
    Aluminum drag/anti-drag tubes in wing increased from 1/2" o.d (M2) to 5/8" o.d (M3)
    All new steel brackets added for drag/anti-drag tubes in wing (M3)
    Float and cargo container brackets added to fuselage (M3)
    Adjustable rod ends added to all Lift struts (M3)
    Additional hinge pin added to rudder: 3 pin (M2) vs. 4 pin (M3)
    Horizontal stabilizer brace tubes increased from 3/8" o.d (M2) to 1/2" o.d (M3)

Last, the Vertical stabilizer and rudder height increased 3" from (M2) to (M3). I'm not certain of the actual respective numbers, but if you post your measures I am sure someone will confirm.

Hope that helps. If your Dads workmanship passes closer inspection, you should have no trouble finding a good home for this aircraft.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Thanks everyone for your input and ideas. Mom said that back when they purchased this plane, they spent at least $13,000. I know she is thinking it should be worth more just based on the purchase price, but she doesn't understand how the market works. She wants at least that much out of it, what sucks is that I will have to be the one to advertise it and deal with all the tire kickers... ugh.

Your help has already been invaluable and I will have more questions once I can get some of the paperwork around.

Laura

Laura,

A few things might help you get more money:

If you can find his build logs and describe how accurate/complete they are.

If you can identify/photo other major parts with it, IE: wheel pants, upgrades like fairings etc, avionics not installed (whether new/used or rebuilt).

Model and serial number of engine and prop and whether new, zero timed, used (and hours) and log books for those if not new.

More clear and detailed photos not to post here but for the interested parties.

The more you can show or describe to a potential buyer, the less answering you will have to do with the "tire kickers"

Good Luck, Greg
    Last edited by Danzer1; 11-12-2015 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling