Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) restoration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) restoration

…and at least one Raven.

x2 to contact Dave.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Yep he was the first guy I thought of too!
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

From what can be seen on the photo I would say that the motor seems to sit in about the right height. The propeller usually comes out slightly high in the round cowl you have and if anything it seems to sit a bit lower then usually. But that can be that the angle the photo is taken from plays some tricks and make ut look lower then it actually is.

PM me your email adress and I can send you some photos of my MkII.

Here's an example of a model 4 with Rotax 503. I think the engine dimensions are very similar if not the same as 582.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A view from the other side.

I just measured from the top of the 582 head to the top of the firewall on my KF2 is 5ish inches.
    Lou
    KitFox II

I'm pretty aware of the Avid Flyer clone called the Raven. It was directly modeled after the B-model Avid Flyer with some influence from the popularity of the Kitfox. Obviously some people took some liberties in making changes that ultimately blended the early Avid design with some later Kitfox and Avid features, but I'd be really surprised if the airframe tubing components are anywhere near as strong / large as the Model IV Kitfox. But again, any of that could have been modified by the builder.

I still have a copy somewhere of the CD Cad drawings of the Raven in my old Avid stuff, along with a copy of an aviation magazine that has a letter to the editor from Dean Wilson stating he was a bit more than upset about the Raven plans being sold; how someone just copied his design, then put it into a CAD drawing, and was selling plans for the airplane he designed, with him getting no design credit or compensation for any of it.

Remember, Dean essentially had the same thing happen to him when the Kitfox was introduced, so I don't think anyone could actually blame him for being upset over everyone stealing his design and giving him no credit or monetary compensation.

Being "almost famous" as Dean is somewhat these days, isn't known for paying the bills. I just hope that one day history will fully recognize that Dean has created one of the best light aircraft designs in the 20th century, a design that will likely outlive all of us. So even if he never sees the monetary compensation he deserves, at least he might be recognized for the the genius he is. And if nothing else I hope he is at least flattered that his design was so good that people are willing to go so far as to steal it.

To the Raven owner, don't take any of my history explanation wrong. The guy that stole the design and sold the plans without Dean's approval or participation was the bad guy. Certainly not you.

Your Raven will make for a really fun airplane to own. I'm sure it is lightweight and will be a great performing airplane. The early airplanes were so much lighter than the later ones, so they were really performers. If your Raven retained any of those features it will be a blast to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by KFfan View Post
    I just measured from the top of the 582 head to the top of the firewall on my KF2 is 5ish inches.
    I will take a measurement this weekend and include a side view picture of engine with cowl off.

when i compared the model 4 with 582 engine installed it was much lower,
    my spark plug wires almost touch top of cowl.

see picture below of model 4 engine

Quote Originally Posted by tommg13780 View Post
    A view from the other side.
    Your engine looks like it is much further from firewall, my rear mounted starter actually protrudes through firewall a good amount.
    What if the distance from the back case where the starter attaches to the firewall.
    If you run a straight edge long the top of cylinder head to firewall, how much lower is it from top of firewall.

thanks

Thumbs up Re: Raven (kitfox 2/3 clone) restoration

Has anyone been in contact with Dave F recently ? He's been flying below the radar lately. I've known Dave for a good while now. I'll agree a bit rowdy and unconventional but a pretty darn knowledgeable guy. He could probably show a few here a thing or two about Kitfox flying. If anyone can speak on behalf of the Raven I'm sure he can. I'm not 110% positive but I think the guy who used the Avid-Kitfox as a template for the Raven is gone now.

My name is Shannon. Just another lurker out for info at this point Gotta start somewhere huh ! I suppose this is an introduction. I flew my 98 Kitfox IV 1200 Greyhead 582 C IVO 72" Medium GA 2-Blade down in Louisiana for the first time 9-4-15. Look it up on YT if you like. Thanks to Av8rSed for the input-advice beforehand.