Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox vs. Super Stol

Default Kitfox vs. Super Stol

Any plans for a flyoff between the Kitfox with the Sti wing and the Super Stol? I would love to see how they perform against each other.

Default Re: Kitfox vs. Super Stol

According to John McB the purpose of the new Kitfox STI is not to compete directly with the Super STOL, but to compete more with the Super Cub market. The Super STOL is a very single purpose machine with poor normal, cruising flying characteristics. Whereas the Super Cub and Kitfox STI is a STOL machine for sure, but also has reasonable cruising characteristics.

A flyoff between the two would be interesting, but the intended target markets need to be kept in mind. I would also like to see a flyoff between the STI and the Super Cub, more apples-to-apple. Maybe John McB would like to clarify what I am saying or correct any of my statements.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I agree the Kitfox STI would be more comparable to a Super Cub than a Just Aircraft Super Stol. The Super Stol is a great airplane designed to go in and out of the most extreme and challenging places by an average guy.. The STI and the Super Cub (in its stock form) will be very capable in the STOL environment, but unless flown by an exceptional pilot, will not be as capable as the Super Stol.

A better comparison than the Super Stol would be to compare the Kitfox STI to the Just Aircraft Highlander. They would be pretty similar in performance and capability with the same powerplant and prop.

An interesting point on this discussion is that some have been doing minor modifications to the Highlander to discover that it will takeoff shorter than the Super Stol, and land within 10% of what the Super Stol will do, but will cruise faster and haul more. That is kind of how I see the STI...compared to previous Kitfox models it has just been enhanced for Stol ops. So in reality, we're kind of splitting hairs when we try to compare all these different aircraft that are essentially from the same lineage. (E.G.; an early, light Avid Flyer or Kitfox would likely hold its own against any of them, only at the expense of being smaller)

John McBean of Kitfox is a smart guy. I'm guessing when he conceptualized the Kitfox STI he was thinking about the huge potential market there would be if he could attract the Super Cub and back country flyer types to the Kitfox by giving it even better STOL capabilities along with an improved bush plane look. Sooner or later some of those guys are going to think about an LSA or Experimental that has more to offer them.

Personally, I think John has hit a homerun with the STI, as I find it to be a very appealing alternative to "the best of the best" bush plane choices out there (including the Super Cub). It has everything the previous Kitfox needed to make the back country flying crowd notice it.

And I believe they will most definitely notice it...

The STI will match the performance of the Cubs on a little more than half the fuel burn too. Just got back from a backcountry trip with a Carbon cub. I burned just over half as much fuel and flew faster doing it. Both planes are awesome. I just love the speed of the Super sport.

Yeah, I can understand a newer Kitfox traveling with a Carbon Cub on a cross country, as my little ol' 80 hp Model 4 on amphibs flies nicely with my friends' 180 hp Aviat Husky amphib. But of course on less than half the fuel burn. Our takeoff and climb are about the same solo, but he beats me when we each fly with a passenger. However, if I had a 100 hp 912 then I'm pretty sure we'd be about the same in pretty much every regard. And that's saying a lot as a Husky is regarded as a high performance version of a Super Cub, having a large engine with a constant speed prop.

Knowing how mine compares to that Husky assures me the Kitfox STI will compare favorably to a Super Cub.

It's days away from being 2016. Are any if these STi's in the air yet? Has there been a "face off" that I can see on video?

Are any if these STi's in the air yet?
    Lorenz- since the wing was just debuted at AirVenture 2015 , there would have to be some mighty quick building going on to see an owner/builder under that wing already.

Doubt also you will see a "face off" anytime either.
    The STi, in my opinion, is for pilots that like a normal approach to landing with a simple wing and still get that incredible off field performance.
    More, in my opinion, to reach back to the earlier Kitfox models performance levels but enjoying the 7 SS durability, comfort, simplicity and baggage capability. Also maintaining a reasonable cross country cruise speed seemed important while still achieving the great off field performance.

Just my opinion but I think the market they want to reach is the folks that like the appeal of the Cubs and Cub copies but who fall into sticker shock when pricing that performance mark. I think they did all that and then some with the STi.
    I look forward to flying the STi soon. That is, if I can pry it out of Brandon's hands long enough to get a half hour in it.
    I think he likes it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Is that "his" airplane or is it a company plane that he has been test flying?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

There are one features in the Highlander and SuperSTOL I really like, the way they did the luggage compartment. It is Hugh, but as an Light Sport Aircraft you couldn't carry much, considering the plane is 850 lbs. The SuperSTOL is really nice but it is also really expensive. I also like the aluminum ribs, ailerons, and flaps. If it weren't so expensive I might consider building one.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Let me think a second ... Time Up..

My Kitfox 5 Vixion speedster wings vs My Friends Stol Cub .. A average 45 mile trip I fly an extra 10 miles out of my way just so we can arrive at the same time His cruse pushing it 85-95 Mine 105-115 at 5200 on a 912uls.
    My takeoff full power Pop the flaps in about 75 to 100 feet about 35 mph were off the ground 5 feet still in ground effect stall horn screaming like a ( Filtered) holding full forward on the stick to keep it from ballooning and were off Who needs a Super Stol... Landing approach at 60 slow down to 50 on final look your passenger in the eyes and say now the fun begin's put in the flaps all of it enjoy the flair push forward on the stick but not to far keep that new flair angle enjoy the blue sky ... slowing .. 50 ... 40... 30.. add more power not for speed but to slow the decent ( remember stick for speed power for altitude ) Enjoy the stall horn again more power more back stick 25.. and shes down 3200 rpm wow a soft touch down and a short landing who needs a Stol when you now fly a Kitfox the best of both worlds??

Go Kitfox .. Lots of Smiles Fly Safe LOL

(Disclaimer) Get to know your plane very very well and don't try this unless you have 100's and 100's of full stall landing under you belt and can afford a new plane!

(Roger Lee) .. I know you will appreciate the 3200- 3400 rpm landing and they all try to tell you you cant slow down at to high of an Idle (2000) you will just float all the way down the runway.....
    (AKA) AngryBird