Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: IVO InFlight Adjustable

Default IVO InFlight Adjustable

I got three new to me IVO blades in the mail todayfor my 912 and want to use them with the inflight adjustable setup I have for my 582. i have heard rumblings that the inflight adjustable works best with the low pitch IVO as compared to the high pitch IVO. Is this true or is it the other way around.
    Thanks for your insights
    Norm

Default Re: IVO InFlight Adjustable

I use a low pitch 68 inch diameter 3 blade IVO IFA on my 912ul 81 hp Kitfox 4 on amphib floats and love it (except for the stainless leading edge tape that doesnt last. If I didn't fly water I would just use 3m rocker panel plastic tape and throw away the stainless tape).

The higher pitch blade (which I've tried for the first 50 hours on my plane) would not allow me to get full rpm/full power when pitched as flat as it will go (wouldn't even get me 5200), and at the top end I learned that the 912ul doesn't have the power to utilize all the pitch the blade is capable of. So in effect, much of the built in blade pitch is wasted.

The low pitch blade however will actually allow you to overspeed at low pitch (so use the supplied pitch stop washers to avoid overspeeding your engine), but is just right at full pitch (WOT at full pitch on a cool day will get me to 5400-5500 rpm on a 68 inch 3 blade), and therefore will provide a significant increase in cruise speed..

If I weren't flying on floats the higher pitch blade would be ok, but I'd rather have the blade that allows me to use full rpm on takeoff and climb.

That's my two cents on that subject...hopefully that helps answer your question.

Paul Seehafer
    Last edited by av8rps; 10-06-2015 at 05:37 AM.

Thanks for the info that is what I was looking for. THis is going on an older 912 UL so I may have to cut the prop to 68. It is currently 72. Because it is an older 912 the prop hub from the 582 and electric setup will fit. Odd that you can't get the IVO to depitch enough to use the power.
    Thanks again for the comments.
    Norm

Norm, I have used a 70" IFA IVO on my Model IV Speedster 1200 with a 912ul for over 1800 hours--works wonderfully well. I suggest you start with the 70" before cutting to 68". Also, I use the mylar leading edge tapes I get from Warpdrive--they don't crack like the ss tapes do, and hold up forever.

Stan

Good Plan I have a friend that cut his prop and was never happy with it after that. I will try full 72 first and go from there.
    Norm

I agree to try the prop before cutting it down. I have a 72 inch that I will use for tbe best off the water performance, at the expense of top speed. I don't have a 70 inch to try, but that could be the best all around prop size for climb and cruise. So, if you do cut your blades down, try 70 inches first.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I got three new to me IVO blades in the mail todayfor my 912...
    Wouldn't the 582 inflight adjustable setup adjust the blades the wrong direction on the 912?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

The electric motor just goes in or out. It does not care which way the blades are turning. Same as the adjustable screw. I am lucky in that this is an early 912. I understand that if this were a later 912 the prop hub would not fit. The plane is still a long ways from flying as I am doing a rebuild but getting stuff ready including switching from a 582 to the 912. Thus the new prop but want to use the inflight adjustable when ready.
    Norm

I have the IVO Medium. Have about 300 hrs on and it works great. But I am thinking of trimming it back a bit. For those who have trimmed there prop, what did you use to trim it? I'm still at 72" but is just a bit much. I think I will start at 1/2 inch off.

From the IVO website it says to use a hacksaw.
    • If you wish to increase top speed or decrease cruise RPM, switch to a 2-blade prop or
    cut the 3-blade prop to smaller diameter using a hack saw. As long as you cut the same
    length piece from each blade, the prop will remain in balance.

I would be careful about trimming the ends if you are getting good rpm cause I know you want to do more sandbar landings. A longer prop usually gives more pull and better climb.