Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: IVO InFlight Adjustable

Default Re: IVO InFlight Adjustable

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    From the IVO website it says to use a hacksaw.
    • If you wish to increase top speed or decrease cruise RPM, switch to a 2-blade prop or
    cut the 3-blade prop to smaller diameter using a hack saw. As long as you cut the same
    length piece from each blade, the prop will remain in balance.

I would be careful about trimming the ends if you are getting good rpm cause I know you want to do more sandbar landings. A longer prop usually gives more pull and better climb.
    Happy New Year guys
    I know this is an OLD thread but I have a couple of questions regarding my 70 inch IVO IFA Ultra Light prop. I have run this now for over 700 hours on a Rotax 912 UL (80HP). over this period I have replaced the pitch motor once, the spool (stripped threads) twice, The carriers and pinion a number of times. Anyway the prop works very well, smooth and allows for better engine performance and fuel economy.
    BUT, Today I removed the IFA hub and installed my Ground Adjust plate for use while I am waiting for another "lead screw assembly" due to stripped threads on the "spool". I never noticed this before but in order to achieve fine pitch on the ground adjuster there is quite a bit of resistance required on the adjusting shaft!

I am wondering if this excessive force required is what is prematurely damaging these IFA parts. The prop was purchased from IVO 9 years ago on their recommendation. It is possible that I have the "high pitch blades" The model says UR 370+PE. Not sure what that means.
    I know is is very easy to lug the engine with very little adjustment in flight.

I am thinking of cutting the prop down in small increments. Do any of you folks have experience doing this? Do not want to mess up the balance. I suppose the other option is to purchase new blades low pitch.

I realize many of you guys have gone on to bigger and better things (airmaster,etc) but my next birthday will match my HP so I would prefer to just fly a bit more without beating up the family`s inheritance too badly.

Cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR to the KF forum folks
    Don Hudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox2009 View Post
    Happy New Year guys
    I know this is an OLD thread but I have a couple of questions regarding my 70 inch IVO IFA Ultra Light prop. I have run this now for over 700 hours on a Rotax 912 UL (80HP). over this period I have replaced the pitch motor once, the spool (stripped threads) twice, The carriers and pinion a number of times. Anyway the prop works very well, smooth and allows for better engine performance and fuel economy.
    BUT, Today I removed the IFA hub and installed my Ground Adjust plate for use while I am waiting for another "lead screw assembly" due to stripped threads on the "spool". I never noticed this before but in order to achieve fine pitch on the ground adjuster there is quite a bit of resistance required on the adjusting shaft!

I am wondering if this excessive force required is what is prematurely damaging these IFA parts. The prop was purchased from IVO 9 years ago on their recommendation. It is possible that I have the "high pitch blades" The model says UR 370+PE. Not sure what that means.
    I know is is very easy to lug the engine with very little adjustment in flight.

I am thinking of cutting the prop down in small increments. Do any of you folks have experience doing this? Do not want to mess up the balance. I suppose the other option is to purchase new blades low pitch.

I realize many of you guys have gone on to bigger and better things (airmaster,etc) but my next birthday will match my HP so I would prefer to just fly a bit more without beating up the family`s inheritance too badly.

Cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR to the KF forum folks
    Don Hudgeon

Has or is anyone running a 68 or 69 inch with the high pitch blades? What are the results? I have an inquiry into IVO as well about cutting down these blades so the adjuster does not have to max out for fine pitch. The breaker has never blown!

Pretty sure the + means high pitched blades. JImChuk

I run an ivo on an 80 hp. My old motor had 68 inch fine pitch blades and I could just get enough adjustment to keep my revs in check. My new 80 hp motor with the 100 hp ratio ( I believe this the default ratio now) would redline at 3/4 throttle with these blades. I installed the high pitch blades at 72 inch but the 80 wouldn't get above 4800 static at full fine so I shortened them down in place with a cutoff grinder at 1/2 inch at a time. 68 is where I could get 5300 static ! Take off performance is identical but cruise is at least 5-10 kts faster than the original setup. After I was happy with the length I removed and checked the balance it was spot on.
    i hope this is of some help
    cheers
    Dusty

How often do you torque your prop bolts?
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ