Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
From the IVO website it says to use a hacksaw.
• If you wish to increase top speed or decrease cruise RPM, switch to a 2-blade prop or
cut the 3-blade prop to smaller diameter using a hack saw. As long as you cut the same
length piece from each blade, the prop will remain in balance.

I would be careful about trimming the ends if you are getting good rpm cause I know you want to do more sandbar landings. A longer prop usually gives more pull and better climb.
Happy New Year guys
I know this is an OLD thread but I have a couple of questions regarding my 70 inch IVO IFA Ultra Light prop. I have run this now for over 700 hours on a Rotax 912 UL (80HP). over this period I have replaced the pitch motor once, the spool (stripped threads) twice, The carriers and pinion a number of times. Anyway the prop works very well, smooth and allows for better engine performance and fuel economy.
BUT, Today I removed the IFA hub and installed my Ground Adjust plate for use while I am waiting for another "lead screw assembly" due to stripped threads on the "spool". I never noticed this before but in order to achieve fine pitch on the ground adjuster there is quite a bit of resistance required on the adjusting shaft!

I am wondering if this excessive force required is what is prematurely damaging these IFA parts. The prop was purchased from IVO 9 years ago on their recommendation. It is possible that I have the "high pitch blades" The model says UR 370+PE. Not sure what that means.
I know is is very easy to lug the engine with very little adjustment in flight.

I am thinking of cutting the prop down in small increments. Do any of you folks have experience doing this? Do not want to mess up the balance. I suppose the other option is to purchase new blades low pitch.

I realize many of you guys have gone on to bigger and better things (airmaster,etc) but my next birthday will match my HP so I would prefer to just fly a bit more without beating up the family`s inheritance too badly.

Cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR to the KF forum folks
Don Hudgeon