Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IVO InFlight Adjustable

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: IVO InFlight Adjustable

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Is that 108 Knots?
    No, mph .

108 Knots would be nice !

This is at 3000' asl and at 1340 take off weight.
    Last edited by kmach; 12-24-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Add info
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Thanks Kmach, Desertfox4 and Slyfox for posting that you are using and apparently pleased with the IVO medium IFA prop since I am considering trying one on my model 4-912 100hp.
    I currently use a Warp Drive (WD) 70" 3 blade taper tip with nickel leading edge protection.
    I am pleased with the sea level performance of the WD other than how long it takes to adjust the pitch and that fixed pitch is always a compromise in performance..
    I have been warned that my WD prop may be exceeding the Rotax recommended mass moment of inertia (MMI) and causing premature damage to the gear box and sprague clutch.
    So I started shopping for props with less MMI.
    I am considering the Prince suggested 80" fixed pitch prop ( $2400 ) but I would need extended gear (Grove $2100. ) to get adequate prop clearance even with 29" ABW's I am already using.
    Extended gear + Prince prop = $4500.
    The only IFA props that I am familiar with are the IVO and the Airmaster.
    Both of which heavier than the Warp but possibly less MMI due to less weight at the blade tips.
    John McDean at Kitfox is a big fan of the Airmaster.
    The $7000. for the Airmaster and the added 10-12 pounds on the nose of a model 4 are a concern.
    The IVO medium appears to be 4 pounds lighter than the Airmaster.
    With the IVO and the Airmaster I would not need extended gear thus saving $2100..

So the questions I have for the IVO medium IFA prop users.
    If money were not an issue would you be flying an Airmaster?
    Do the IVO medium IFA or Airmaster exceed the Rotax recommended MMI?
    If so it does not seem to be a major problem.
    Would the all around performance difference between the IVO and the Airmaster be worth the additional approx. $4300 ?

Thanks for your consideration.
    Herman

Herman, my Ivo is not a medium. The Patriot is a lighter prop. It is about maxed out on the 100 hp Rotax but works very well and is less money than the medium. I still would go with the Medium Ivo thogh as the pitch change motor is more robust than those used in the lite prop line.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I had the patriot on my 100 when I first installed my motor. It worked, but don't put full power on take off, mine cavitated, slipped out like a boat that lost it's grip. The rpm's went way up, I caught it before it did any damage. but I was just coming off the runway when it did it. I heard of it, so I was kind of waiting for it, I backed off the throttle and it caught again. I went and ordered my medium and would not trade that prop for anything, I love it.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by herman pahls View Post
    I have been warned that my WD prop may be exceeding the Rotax recommended mass moment of inertia (MMI) and causing premature damage to the gear box and sprague clutch.
    So I started shopping for props with less MMI.
    Hi Herman,
    Have you measured the MMOI of your current WD prop configuration to know if you're inside of the 6000 Kgcm^2 limit? I'm not sure why prop manufacturers don't provide this information, but it doesn't seem to be widely available. I've heard that a three blade 68" taper tip is under.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Just to clear one thing up. The Airmaster is not an IFA prop. It is a fully constant speed prop and that is why it's performance is way above everything else.

The IVO is an IFA and there is a constant speed controller unit for it but I haven't heard great things. An IFA is better than a ground adjustable for sure but if you are looking for the ultimate performance, the Airmaster is head and shoulders above the IVO

This is an excerpt from a message WarEagle sent me regarding his Airmaster:

"But I fly with a four other Kitfoxes with 912s and the same CS prop that I have and many times we meet other kitfoxes that fly with us with the IVO IFA on their 912's equipped fox. The IVO's can take off first then the the planes with the same CS prop as mine take off and the IVO's get caught up to and then passed in less than 20 minutes off the deck. It's a pretty cool sight to watch because the IVO guys can't believe what they are seeing. While we don't have hard numbers to give you I would guess that these CS equipped planes are seeing at least 4-6 mph (over the IVO guys) on cruise and probably 100 - 150 fpm better on climb out. "

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

If money was not a factor , I would select the Airmaster as first choice.

My personal story,
    I had the 2 blade Sensenich ez pitch , a very nice prop.
    I always read of a three blade prop being smoother and was intrigued by the three blade IVO GA and how it adjusted. A medium 3 blade ground adjustable came up for sale on barnstormers for a decent price so I bought it.

I liked how the GA IVO medium performed, but I knew there was the ability to make it an IFA, so it eventually was made into an IFA.
    So far the best setup that I have had.
    I would like to try the Airmaster with Whirlwind blades , but I can't justify the dollars to switch at this point.
    Maybe one day ?

P.S. I put John McBean's advice very high and take it for being about the best there is.
    Last edited by kmach; 12-27-2015 at 09:03 AM. Reason: add info
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I appreciate your responses regarding the IVO IFA props.
    I will try to summarize what I have learned from several members on this forum by posts, PM's and phone calls.
    I was searching for a new prop because I was getting the impression that I was prematurely damaging my 912ULS engine, gear box, starter and sprag clutch by using the 70" Warp Drive, taper tip with nickel leading edge.
    So I called Warp and they told me my WD prop's MMoI was just over 5000 which is short of the Rotax suggested 6000.
    I tried calling IVO to find out what the IVO Medium IFA props MMoI is but they are not open till the 1st of the year.
    Warp claims my prop weighs 10#'s, IVO online says the medium weighs 17.2 #'s, the Airmaster weighs 26 #'s (and uses Warp or Whirl Wind blades) and the Whirl Wind 3 blade ground adjust weighs around 9 #'s from what I could find.
    I talked to 2 Kitfox owners that use the Airmaster.
    One was getting 130 + mph on 26" ABW's burning 4+ GPH with the smooth model 7 cowl. Your life would be on the line if you tried to take that prop away from him.
    The other was getting much less cruise and higher fuel burn, also on 26" ABW's but with a round cowl model 5. This owner is considering a long Prince prop because he felt that from riding with Steve Henry in his Highlander that the take off and climb was significantly better than his Airmaster at 5800 RPM and the Prince was only turning 5300 RPM. Also, he felt the Prince prop fit his flying interests better even with a loss of cruise speed.
    Since the Airmaster would add 16 pounds to the nose of my model 4 and hiding $8000. from my wife is not an option at this time, I will not be flying with a real constant speed prop in the near future.

My Conclusions regarding some of the props used for Kitfox's with 100 hp engines.

The Prince is right up there with being the best if not the best short field prop.
    I do not know of any flying on a Kitfox to hear what cruise speed they get.
    Larry will be telling us soon.
    My concern is having to send the Prop back and forth to the factory to get the pitch right if needed.
    This long prop really needs tall tires and extended gear to get the blades out of harms way.
    This is probably the lightest prop and only takes 5 minutes to install and torque. That appeals to me.

If affordable, I would have an Airmaster. I love not chasing the RPM.
    I feel they are a better fit for the Super Sports than the model 4's or possibly the 5's due to dealing with the extra weight and C.G..
    All around performance and fuel burn would be hard to beat.

We possibly need to convert round cowls to smooth cowls for efficiency.

Warp Drives are probably the least damage prone prop, and in my Kitfox give good climb and cruise and could be used to chop wood when you replace it.

Warps and IVO ground adjust are probably the best bang for the buck from what I could find. Possibly the best seaplane prop option.

The Whirl Wind is probably the lightest, most efficient and vulnerable to damage and reasonably priced.

Since I want maximum RPM for gravel bar hopping and decent cruise when trying to get somewhere, the ease of making pitch changes would make the IVO my first choice from what I know now.If I go with Big Bore cylinders my current WD will need to be replaced.

If you know what the weight and MMoI is on the props you have used, please share that info..
    If my information is not correct or you know of better options please let me know.
    If you have an IVO medium prop for sale, I am interested.
    Herman

IVO won't give you a MMOI. At least they wouldn't when I purchased from them. However, I did my own test and the results of a medium 72 inch 3 blade and 2 blade are posted in this thread...

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...geowitz&page=2

3 blade medium 72 inch with in flight adjust = ~ 7800 kg cm2
    2 blade medium 72 inch with in flight adjust = ~ 5300kg cm2

The original link to the test procedure is bad, but this video is how I did it.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=2010764613001
    Last edited by Geowitz; 12-30-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Geowitz
    Valuable video showing how to test for MMoI.
    I wonder how many are going to stop using the 3 blade IVO medium because it exceeds the Rotax recommended MMoI.
    Now I am now curious how my Warp Drive will test even though WD told me it would be just over 5000.
    Any suggestions of what wire to use? Diameter?
    It seems like the initial angle the blades were rotated was vague.
    Maybe it is not that important.

Any other confessions what the MMoI of the other brands of props is?
    I am curious how the Airmaster would test with Whirl Wind and Warp blades.
    Herman