Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IVO InFlight Adjustable

Default Re: IVO InFlight Adjustable

Hi guys
    I have over 400 hours now on a 70 inch IVO IFA Ultralight prop with a 912 UL on my Vixen.
    Have no problem getting full RPM on takeoff and could also "overload the engine" with excessive pitch on cruise if you wanted to. I think it is a good idea to have a manifold pressure gauge with the in flight props.
    I would be careful trimming the tips with the chance of unbalancing the prop.
    They are pretty smooth. Be a shame to bugger it up.
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Don

Hi Don
    Had a good Turkey today. I hope your Thanksgiving was great.
    What RPM do you get on takeoff. It looks like you have the high pitch prop looking at your photo albums so I am curious.
    Norm

Hi Norm
    Not sure about about the pitch. The model is a UR370+PE KFOX /912/80.
    I told IVO the aircraft and engine type and this is what was recommended.
    I get 5800 on takeoff and start putting a bit of pitch in through climb out to maintain 5500 or so. I usually cruise at 52 to 5400 if I want to get somewhere . Hardly ever run it under 5000 unless in the circuit.
    When are you in the air?
    Cheers
    Don

I hope I can get those numbers out of my Fox. It will be a long time before I get my Model IV in the air, but I fly the Buzzard weekly. Probably why the fox is taking a long time to get going. Did you make it to this way this year?
    Norm

I'm glad to hear of success with the 70 inch. I think that just might be the best compromise overall. However, as stated, if I had a 72 inch I'd try that before cutting it down.

When I had to cut my blades down (due to water erosion when I tried the plastic prop-guard) I measured as accurate as I could, and then when done I weighed them with a really accurate scale, which told me I had to sand some off one blade yet (not even measurable however). My new cut down blades run really smooth doing it that way. So that would be my recommendation if you decide to cut your blades down later.

It's ironic how different we all operate our planes that are so similar, but apparently yet so different. I commonly will fly my 912ul around under 5,000 rpm, as it operates so smooth in the 4600-5000 range. And with full pitch and only 4800 rpm I easily cruise around at 105 mph with still probably an inch and a half of throttle available (and remember, I'm on 230 lb amphib floats). At 5200-5400 I feel like the engine is not as smooth. Oh, and for anyone wondering, I have verified both my ASI accuracy multiple times, as well as my tachometer accuracy. So these are real numbers.

I would love to see how my plane would do with an IVO prop and a big bore 912 putting out 110+ hp. I think that would be really SWEEEET!!

Has anyone out there flown a model 4 with the 100 hp 912 and the IVO IFA? If so I'm curious what performance you are seeing.
    Last edited by av8rps; 10-13-2015 at 07:07 AM.

Hi Paul
    I read this thread because I am interested in trying a Ivo prop on my model 4 Kitfox with 912 100hp on 29" ABW's.
    I was hoping to hear from someone who has experience with this combination.
    I have flown the IVO inflight adjustable for years on my 582 powered model 2 with excellent results.
    With my 912 100 hp I have had great results with the Warp, 3 blade, 70" and taper tip but struggle with how long it takes to adjust the pitch.
    I wish for the inflight adjust feature for getting 5800 RPM for take off without spending $7000 for the alternative.
    I also would like to know how the IVO-IFA prop performs on a 100 hp 912 in a Kitfox.
    Thanks
    Herman

Thanks again for the sea plane base tour Oshkosh 2014

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

The IFA Ivo medium three blade should be what your looking for.
    I have been using this on my 912 uls for around 300 hrs. I had a sensenich ground adjustable ez pitch on it before, I couldn't go back to a fixed or ground adjustable now !
    I have the limiters set as to get the full 5800 on takeoff , and then usually set it for 5200 - 5400 cruise.
    Todays flight -8C , climb 1200 fpm, cruise 5250 rpm, 108 IAS with wheel skis on , 70 lbs luggage , full fuel and 230 pilot .

On a model 4 with the 912 uls you should get some real nice performance.
    I'm sure others with that exact setup will chime in.
    Last edited by kmach; 12-22-2015 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Is that 108 Knots?

Classic model 4- 661 lbs. empty weight.
    Rotax 912 uls
    Ivo in-flight Patriot prop.
    Pilot - 210 lbs
    Full fuel
    5300- 5500 rpm's @ 5.8 gals per hour fuel flow.
    Altitude. 4,500' above sea level
    120-125 mph cruise
    Top speed level full throttle- 132 mph.

Speed mods- stut fairings.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

mine is a constant 103kts GPS.
    steve
    slyfox